[Bards] Query

Ivy Crane ivy.crane at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 21:09:30 PST 2011

Jeffery Clark:
"On the other side of the issue: if I were going to Kingdom A&S with a garb
entry and I walked in with a strip of fabric and noted in my documentation
that it normally would have been a dress but I didn't have the
time/means/motivation to actually turn the fabric into a dress... would that
be acceptable too?"

Although a somewhat valid point, this is a completely different issue. A
piece performed without the intended accompaniement still serves as both
a recognizable representation of that period work as well as functions, most
importantly, as entertainment (especially if we're only considering the SCA
arts community here). A strip of fabric, however, cannot be either
recognized as proper clothing representation or can it be used as a suitable
garment. (Not to mention it's a lot easier to make a dress by yourself than
to accompany yourself.)

It really depends on if the judges are judging on how precisely perfect and
accurate a performer can present his piece or whether they are judging on
the effort and talent of the performer himself (and both kinds of judges I
have met.)

Just my two cents in this interesting little discussion.

Lily