[Bards] Year-Long Challenge for all Ansteorran Bards

Laura reibushi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 08:31:50 PST 2015

WOOOT! **ahem** I beg pardon, please allow me to rephrase that. HUZZAH!
VIVAT!  WOOT! **sorry, it just slipped out**

Great idea, great responses, and my input is LET IT BE CHALLENGING! LET
PEOPLE STEP OUTSIDE THEIR COMFORT ZONES! It will only add to our
performances by giving us more information on how to present material. If
an element is not within aperson's persona, let it be claimed that it was
put upon them as a requrement by one whose respect ehy wish to garner, or
by their master, or their liege, or what-have-you.

And I'm a firm believer that period is period, period. We are given freedom
to select anything recorded up to 1650. It doesn't have to be a song, but
our SCA websites have TONS of good PERIOD songs to select from. Take a page
from young Matthias, who selected a soliloquy from a Shakespearian play.
Recite a sonnet or an ode if the music seems out of your ken.

I will gladly offer my own assistance to anyone who thinks performing an
ACTUAL period piece is too much. I will discuss period pieces with you the
options, find one that will work, and teach it to you, if you wish. I'll
even get up and sing it with you the first time you perform it if you want!
There are so many fabulous period pieces I think one of our highest
callings should be to bring them to the populace. I WILL say, however, that
I think a translated period piece should qualify, rather than requiring it
remain in the original tongue. I've been working on some translations of
French music that keep the meter and rhyme scheme as well as the meaning of
the original. I think that's the only allowance I'd work with.

As for writing, I will be glad to assist anyone who wants to try their hand
at a sonnet. I have throughly fallen in lvoe with the things. If that helps
anyone feel more confident in accepting this challenge, let's do this!

Just my two cents worth. With a two cent coupon.

-Lark