[Bg-dance] Bransles

tmcd@panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 9 11:55:46 PDT 2005

Oy!  Perronnelle!  I know you're lurking -- I can hear you pavaning.

Wait, just found an answer to the first question I had:
    Double to the left and kick kick
    Double to the right and
    Double to the left and kick kick
    Double to the right and
    Double to the left and kick kick
    Single to the right kick kick kick
    Single to the left kick kick kick
    Double to the right again
is Bransle Charlotte.

Hermit's Bransle.  The chorus I learned (best I remember since it was
years ago) was: turn single 180 degrees with four kicks, then cross
arms over the chest and bow twice from the waist, then again to face
the center of the circle.

You give the chorus (aside from three kicks while turning) as
    with arms crossed over the chest and bowing, touch right toe to
    left instep, then left toe to right instep, then right toe to left
    instep and close

One bow?

Any suggestions on how you do that footwork in any reasonable way?
When I tried it on my own with the rather sprightly music, it looked
like I was doing the Twist.  I don't mind waggling my butt while
dancing, but I prefer to be in a gay bar instead of at the Wells
Branch Community Center.  A version I Googled had touching the toe to
the heel, which led me to end up looking like I was kicking each foot
forward in turn, which at least looks more dignified.

Danihel de Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com