[Bg-dance] Memo for next Yuletide

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Dec 30 15:13:06 PST 2005

When vistin' the 'rents over Xmas, I listened to a fair number of
Christmas carols on the radio.  I noticed that at least two were set
to SCA dance tunes:
* "Female Sailor" == the carol "Master's In This Hall"
  says <http://rectaratio.blogspot.com/2002_10_06_rectaratio_archive.html>
* "Official Bransle" == the carol "Ding Dong Merrily on High"

There was at least one other tune that I recognized and thought it was
an SCA dance.

It occurred to me that at next year's Yule revel or year's last dance
practice, we could dance several Christmas carols.  The drawbacks I see:
- music that serves well as a vocal performance may not work well for
  dancing -- though people could just sing to a dance version
- <http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/del/sections/articles10.html> says
      I have also seen a few later period dances around Lochac and
      other nearby groups, which we are trying to stamp out, including
      Hole in the Wall, Strip the Willow (a bastardised Scottish
      Country dance actually), Childgrove, and Female Sailor (this is
      actually a French Country Dance, from 1706). Feel free to refuse
      to play any of these.

Danielis Lindecolina
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com