[Bg-dance] Fwd: Dance pawns

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Jan 4 12:18:54 PST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:23:26 -0600
From: Charlene Charette
To: tmcd at panix.com
Subject: Re: Dance pawns

tmcd at panix.com wrote:

> Tonight we were trying to work out the pattern of a dance.  The dance
> mistress (Isabella) got 4 white rocks and 4 dark rocks, and I wrote
> 1 thru 4 on the tops.
>
> I dimly recall that you have large chess pawns for the purpose.
> Is that so?  Where and how did you get them, and do you remember how
> much they cost?

What I have are wooden, old-fashioned style milk cans.  I think they're
intended for doll houses.  I wrote numbers on the tops using different
colors for males and females.  A couple of years ago for Christmas I
gave a set to Antonello along with the Mellor/Bridgewater Playford.  His
are little wooden people -- basic, very little detail.  Easy to tell
male from female.  Kaitlyn joked about making them clothes, but never
did.  I like his better than mine; I have little wooden people envy.  :-)

Some reconstructors use coins; some use playing cards.  I prefer a more
3D object, but anything will do in a pinch.  Chess pieces sound like a
great idea.  I did a quickie Google search.  Lots of places sell
complete chess piece sets without the board.  Apparently many sellers
will replace missing or damaged pieces for life if you buy the set from
them and some sets come with extra pieces (not sure why you need four
spare Queens -- do they get more ware?).  This might be useful:
http://www.chessexpressstore.com/spchpi.html

--Perronnelle

--
Plagiarism:  Failure to adorn stolen ideas with footnotes, as opposed to
scholarship, which repeatedly acknowledges the theft.  -- Bayan, Rick;