[Bg-dance] Gaita

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Mar 31 20:54:54 PDT 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Myfanwy ferch Eifion <myfanwy at pug.net> wrote:
> > Have you guys heard of these folks?
> > http://www.gaita.co.uk/
> >   The have a set of a CD, dance steps and sheet music which looks
> > really neat.
> >
> > The sound clips they have on their site are great.  I'm interested
> > in picking up one of their CDs and some sheet music.  The shipping
> > from Scotland's kind of a pain, and my own Scottish blood is
> > cripplingly frugal so I'm wondering if anyone would like to split
> > it with me.
>
> Btw, I would be interested in a copy of the Whatsoever ye wyll CD
> and booklet and I'm willing to share cost of shipping with you.

Count me in on the "Whatsoever ye wyll" CD and its "Steps for Dancing"
booklet.  (The "Arrangements for Dancing" booklet is the sheet music,
which is of no use to me.)  Likewise for "Eschewynge of Ydlenesse", CD
and "Steps for Dancing" booklet.

Mind you, I'm not that sanguine about it.  I listened to the samples
of Amoroso and the two bransles: the instruments are nice, but my
personal impression is that they don't have as clear a beat and melody
as the current versions I have for these three, so maybe Gaita's
arrangements aren't so useful.  On the other hand, I have one (1)
Gresley dance tune, and maybe the other arrangements are clearer.

(OK, three more Gresleys in sheet music that I picked up at
Terpsichore.  That is, someone who taught there composed original
music for three dances that had only words.)

Danyll de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com