[Bg-dance] Italian ren in Austin

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Dec 12 13:27:38 PST 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Charlene Charette <charlene281 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM,  <star7fisher at aol.com> wrote:
>> Would any of these work for you and would you prefer Saturday or
>> Sunday workshop hours? We were speculating about it being a Noon to
>> 5 pm time slot. Is that viable?
> Noon is good since it takes me about three hours to get there.

Is noon to 5 PM a decent time frame, not too long, not too short?
Personally, I tend to be a hopelessly greedy little consumer ...

> Were you wanting one day or two?

"Two?", he asked faintly.  "I'm sorry, did you just offer two days?"

Oh God, my drool almost shorted out my keyboard.  And there's no
fainting couch at the office.  I shall have to recline on a table
to sip the reviving medicinal brandy.

> Any ideas on what steps or dances you want to learn? That will
> determine how much time it takes.

I don't know about others' opinions, but I'm somewhat at sea to answer
that, partly from not knowing the repetoire well, partly from not
knowing who exactly will want to come.

My own impressions of the current knowledge base at BG are

- Petit Vriens: a lot of people know this and it's reasonably popular

- Amoroso: a fair number of people know it pretty well, but at the 3-D
   revel only two couples got up for it.  (BTW: BG now dances it so
   that a dancer need not return to the same partner they danced away
   from.  That seems more authentic to Italian Renaissance mores.  It
   certainly seems more fun.)

- Gelosia: some people know it, but we rarely dance it.

- Rostiboli Gioioso: My impression is that, when it comes to Italian
   Ren in the SCA, Rostiboli Gioiosa is #4 on the hit parade, but I
   invite correction.  I've taught it two times now in BG (with the
   stylings that Vashti hard-coded into my brain decades ago), but I've
   haven't heard clamoring for it.

I taught (a version of?) Ballo del Fiore a couple of times a few
months ago, but that didn't really go anywhere.

I have decaying memories of Bella Gioiosa.  And also of that other
dance, mildly common, that I keep getting dragged into without much
instruction ... Gracca Amorosa, that's it.

Myfanwy presumably knows more.

Danet Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com