[Bg-dance] Performance dance? Inconceivable

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Jul 2 16:51:02 PDT 2011

Sometimes I like to mention an idea even though I don't see a
practical way to make it work, just in case someone else sees how.

Danced the Pattricke version of Jeepsie (a variation from Playford's
Spanish Jipsy), in which the head and tail couples get all the fun and
the remaining ones (one or two middle couples) get no fun at all.
Then another Pattricke where man 1 and 3 show off, repeatedly, but
there's progression, so at least all the pairs of mem can show off
... but just the men.  I also heard that Italian dances (many?  most?
all?) were for a couple to show off before the company.  It occurred
to me that that's a change from modern sensibilities, that they were
willing to let the spotlight shine on a few.  (Maybe more
inexperienced people were out on the dance floor and perfectly willing
to let others do the extra complications?)

It then occurred to me that I haven't seen similar performance dances
in our neck of the woods.  Except the Candle Dance, but that's for as
many experienced people as we can include for a dance we want to do.
I was thinking more of 2 or 3 people doing a fancy-pants dance.

But then it occurred to me that I can't see how to do it.  My first
thought was as Candlemas, during the courses.  But then the dancers
involved would miss the course (or get it as leftovers later or eat
some earlier).  And musicians as well, unless they go with recorded
music, which does not sort well with fancy-pants dances.  And there's
clatter from the servers and people chatting with the servers and each
other, so more noise about.  (And much less attention, but personally
I wouldn't mind that per se for the chance to doa performance
fancy-pants dance.)

The only other time I can think of at Candlemas is during the day
... which has its own worse problems.  Where's the space available?
When?  In the gap between classes, 'cause the people doing it are
likely to want to take classes or teach them, and are they otherwise
supposed to duck out or stop it while they go dance?  Who will be
paying attention (the only plausible answer I can think of is "it's an
entry in the A&S competition").  Or while the hall is being torn down
and reset for dinner ... but then where do you dance?

At most any other event, if there's space and time for a performance
dance, shouldn't you instead use it for dance for the populace?  (For
example, suppose between course at a Fall event: if the idea even
flies, which I doubt, and people don't mind dancing on uneven ground
in low light, which I DOUBT, you have the same
server+cook+dancer+musician+MC coordination hassles as at Candlemas,
so why not have everyone dance?)  Our event schedules tend to be full
now.

The only possibility that comes to mind, without scheduling problems,
is at a revel at the Other Wells Branch center, where it goes on for
hours without much scheduled activity.  But as with anywhere, there's
the same objection: why don't you have everyone up dancing in that
time, unless there's a break in general dancing for a breather?

So I don't see how it can be done, but I wanted to mention it in case
inspiration strikes anyone.

Denyel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com