[BG-heralds] Cadhla &c device

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun May 8 21:39:13 PDT 2011

Dear Cadhla ("Cadhla" is the one part of your name that I'm sure of):

You asked me to look into your device and its apparent change by
Laurel.  Due perhaps to the early date of your registration, there are
some extra complexities that you might want to know about.

In short, your current registered name is
      Cadhla Morag nicChlurain of Tregdin
and your current registered device is
      Azure, a mullet sable fimbriated between six mullets in annulo
      Or.
with straight arms, the middle one black with white trim, the others
entirely white.

Are these your preferences?  If you'd prefer
    Cadhla of Treghdin
(your original listed name) and/or
    Azure, within six estoiles in annulo argent, an estoile sable
    fimbriated argent.
(the same design but with wavy arms on the stars instead of straight
arms), then we'd have to go deeper to see about that.  Depending on
the details of who did what and when, I can't guarantee at all that
these other form(s) could still be registered to you.

These are all the grungy details that I know of.

- On the October 1973 Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns (LoAR),
  <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1973/10/lar.htm>, is

    Cadhla of Treghdin. Azure, within six estoiles in annulo argent,
    an estoile sable fimbriated argent.

  An "estoile" in heraldry is a star, usually six-pointed, with wavy
  arms.  This says there was a blue background, with a black center
  estoile with a white outline, and around it 6 white estoiles in a
  circle.

In your folder in the Laurel office were these pieces of paper:

- A form titled "HISTORICAL INFORMATION FOR THE GREAT BOOK OF ARMS".
  It is stamped "Sep 9 1973".  It gives your name as Cadhla of
  Treghdin.  The rest of the form is in different handwriting.  It
  blazons the device submission (q.v.) as "Azure, 6 mullets in circle,
  argent, surrounding a mullet, sable, finbriated argent".

  A "mullet" in heraldry is a star, usually five-pointed, with
  straight arms.

  So note that this description in words ("blazon") doesn't match the
  blazon on the October 1973 LoAR.

- A form with a device, lozenge-shaped.  The design matches the blazon
  just above.  In particular, the stars are all straight-armed, making
  them heraldically "mullets".  On the top is written in black ink
  "Cadhla of Treghdin".  Scribbled over/around it using red ink and in
  different handwriting is

         Morag nicChlurain of
  Cadhla [of scratched ou] Treg[h scratched out]din
         Nic [stuff scratched out]

  Note that the name doesn't match the LoAR registration or the
  Historical Information form.  Also, this picture doesn't match the
  blazon in the October 1973 LoAR.

- A card dated Sep 13, 1980, to Cadhla Morag nicChlurain of Tregdin,
  "to confirm that on Nov 01, 1975, we approved in your name:

  "Azure, within six estoiles in annulo argent, an estoile sable
  fimbriated argent".

  Note that
  = The name matches a version of the device form, but not the
    Historical Information form or the original LoAR.
  = The registration date is off by a couple of years.  That's not
    uncommon for submissions from the early years.  At least once,
    the data files for the SCA Armorial were entirely lost and
    everything had to be typed in again.
  = The blazon matches the LoAR but not the device sketch.

- The August 2005 Laurel Letter of Acceptances and Returns,
  <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2005/08/05-08lar.html>, had a reblazon
  listed as

      Cadhla Morag nicChlurain of Tregdin.  Reblazon of device. Azure,
      a mullet sable fimbriated between six mullets in annulo Or.

          Originally registered 11/1975 and blazoned as Azure, within
          six estoiles in annulo argent, an estoile sable fimbriated
          argent, the charges are actually mullets not estoiles.

  The general principle is "We register the emblazon [the picture],
  not the blazon [the words used to describe the picture]."  That is,
  if the picture or the blazon don't match, the picture wins.

  If you go only by the picture in the files, this was a correct
  action.

- The Armorial, the listing of names and armory registered in the SCA,
  gives your name as Cadhla Morag nicChlurain of Tregdin, with an
  original name and device registration date of November 1975,
  which matches the card.

I attach the Laurel-office file scans.  Since there are other people
on the CC list, I removed the Personal Identifying Information other
than your SCA name(s).

If any of this is unclear, please let me know.

Daniel de Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com