[Bordermarch] Last call for the Cooking Competition

Cindi Picou cdpicou at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 21 13:35:18 PDT 2004

I was asked to pass this along to the list; anyone interested in this competition should contact Lord Askell - his contact info is at the bottom of this missive.
Selina

>>At this time we have 4 teams. Before the registration deadline on 23 SEP we may end up with a few more. For all involved here is what is in the boxes. As stated in the rules each team will draw a # at 0800 the morning of the event to see which box they will use/have.
finalized rules at bottom after box list.

Please read all rules very carefully so we have few problems on SAT morning.

box 1
5 lbs chicken breast
1lb strawberries
1lb peas
1lb rice
1lb flour
3 eggs
Spianch, fresh
salt pepper garlic & onion
honey
pinenuts

box 2
5 lbs pork shoulder
1 lb oranges
1 lb green beans
1 lb sweet potatoes
1 lb flour
3 eggs
Spianch, fresh
salt pepper garlic & onion
honey
almonds

box 3
5 lbs beef (tenderloin?)
1 lb apples
1 lb cous cous
1 lb aspargus
1 lb flour
3 eggs
Spianch, fresh
salt pepper garlic & onion
honey
walnuts

All 3 boxes will have suprise in it...could be chocolot, 1 dz eggs, an other item like dates or figs, ya just do not know.

The outcome of the cooking will become the Royal/Noble & Wedding Luncheon (for THL Caelin on Andrede & Cear Megan also known as Pyro, who are to be married later that evening) for Elfsea Defender.

Contest/List Master: THL Caelin on Andrede

Judges are as follows:
Her RM Sibri
Duchess Conal
Lady Servita
Lady Kandyce
Lady Genevieve del Gamba
Lady Aislyn Glynwyrd Fen

The main prize is being provided by HL Caelin (I have heard a rumor that it is 3 very nice cooking pots, one for each team member). And the 4 Lady judges are also providing some smaller prizes (again a set of 3 of the same thing). There will be a  1st place and an honorable mention.

The Scenario:
You have been besieged for two months in your manor/castle. And your supplies are getting very low. Your fearless leader has decided to invite the opposition leader and two of his companions to parley. You must stretch your cooking skills to the limit to give the impression you have lots of food left and can hold out for as long as necessary.

Team size will be 3 people, with one listed as team captain/head chef.
Pre-registration Required! Registration fee is $10 (to be collected morning of event) with name of team and contact information for the designated team captain/head chef.
Please email Team Name, members’ names & Team Captain/Head Chef’s contact info to rjt at softwareinnovation.com & arkellvomcophus at yahoo.com

Each team gets a box containing the same basic ingredients-total weight approx. 10 lbs. There will be 3 different boxes. Each box will contain

5 lbs. of meat

1 lb. of fruit

1 lb. of vegetables

1 lb. of rice or cos cos or legumes of some type,

1 lb. flour

3 eggs minimum

Spianch

nuts

honey

Salt, pepper, garlic & onion

A surprise item like maybe eggs up to a doz, chocolate or such.

Then, each group may add, but this is optional-your team does not have to add any of it, or may just add one of the following items or a few or all, to their box:

A maximum of 3 fresh herbs/spices (unlimited)

Maximum of 3 dried herbs &/or spices (limited to 1/2 ounce each)

Spice blends (custom or commercial) count per spice/herb in the blend (except for slat & pepper which we are going to provide). Blend has 4 spices/herbs and one is salt then it will count as 3 items.
One fresh fruit OR above-ground vegetable - limit 1 lb.

One root vegetable - limit 2 lbs.

You can substitute one doz eggs for either the fruit/vegi or root vegi that the team is allowed.

Liquids will be unlimited for water, milk, cream ect

Vinegar & Soy sauce (and for those that do know, yes soy sauce is period for some cultures) counts as a spice/herb so you are limited to one bottle of any kind and it counts against the 3 your team is allowed to bring.

Alcohol can be brought and counted as a spice/herb if used in the cooking, or not if used to go with the meal.
Unlimited yeast can be brought and it will not count against you.

Cooks can bring their cookbooks

The morning of the event you will draw# to see which type of box you get. You will receive the list of ingredients for all 3 types of boxes NLT then the TUE evening before the event if your registration fee has been paid which will not exceed $10 per team to cover the cost of the food, but we (thanks to Caelin’s connections)hope to get it down under $10. Teams should pre-register by one week before the event with fee to be collected the morning of the cook off if not sent in sooner.

We will bring charcoal/wood for the grills and some limited amount of propane in 2 different sizes of tanks. Any needed propane to be brought by the teams. Teams will bring camp stoves &/ or grills to the event for their use. The total allowed is not to exceed 3 cooking items, i.e. 1 grill and 2 burners, 3 burners, 2 grills & 1 burner or 3 grills or even an oven. It is up to the team what they want to bring. And yes a period oven is acceptable in place of a burner/grill. The teams must provide they own cookware/equipment. All equipment /cookware must be non-electric. All cooking will be done outside/under tents.

We will have a brief meeting of the team leaders at 0800 to pick boxes and start allowing for set-up. You may start setting up your kitchen earlier than 0900.  Cooking will begin at 0900.

Feast gear to be provided by us (sorry will not be anything fancy, just paper). Your teams can provide feast gear (other than paper plates).

We will provide lemon water for the judges to clear their taste buds.

No minimums or limits on number of dishes accept that of the amount of the food provided.

Criteria judged by:
Up to 100 points Total (possible 110 with bonus points)
Up to 20 points if they can show to the medieval recipe used as the source for each dish (up to 5 recipes at 4 points each)
Up to 10 points for limiting it to a single time period and country (5 points for each & time is within 200 years).
Up to 10 points for presentation (this how you present it to the royals & judges, not its apperance)
Up to 10 points for judges discretion
Up to 50 points for flavor/texture/appearance/aroma/ (up to 12.5 points for each sense)
Up to 10 bonus points (2 point per spice/herb up to 5 max for 10 points) for using fresh herbs/spices that are native to our Kingdom (your herbs must be store-bought or homegrown ie: not harvested/picked onsite).

List is from Herb Society of America
comino (cumin), Chile peppers, Paprika, BASIL Ocimum basilicum, BAY Laurus nobilis , CHERVIL Anthriscus cerefolium, CHIVES, ONION Allium schoenoprasum,

CHIVES, GARLIC Allium tuberosum CORIANDER/CILANTRO Coriandrum sativum,

DILL Anethum graveolens , FENNEL Foeniculum vulgare, GINGER Zingiber officinalis,
LEMON BALM Melissa officinalis LEMON VERBENA Aloysia triphylla,
LEMONGRASS Cymbopogon citrates, MINT MARIGOLD Tagetes lucida,
OREGANO Poliomintha longiflora, OREGANO Origanum vulgare
PARSLEY Petroselinium crispu, ROSEMARY Rosmarinus officinalis,

SAGE Salvia officinalis SALAD BURNET Poterium sanguisorba,

SORREL Rumex acetosa, SWEET MARJORAM Origanum majorana,

THYME Thymus vulgaris,

Spearmint Mentha spicata, Peppermint M. x piperita,
Orange or Bergamot mint M. x piperita var. citrate, Pineapple mint M. suaveolens 'Variegata', Red Stemmed Apple mint M. x gracilis, Pennyroyal M. pulegium

In Service always, to the
Chirurgeonate, Kingdom, & the Dream,

Herr Arkell vom Cophus
Kingdom Chirurgeon
Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra

Selina Designs
http://www.geocities.com/cdpicou@sbcglobal.net/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world
Albert Einstein