[Bordermarch] Garb

tessa tessa at gt.rr.com
Mon Jun 11 09:33:31 PDT 2007

Welcome Elijah,

Each Thursday evening around 7:30, Fighter Practice is held at Rogers Park
(unless there is a raging downpour of rain in which case a cancellation may
or may not get posted to this forum; or otherwise a posted reason to cancel
might go out, such as preparations for a local event that coming weekend.
Sundays at Wuthering Heights Park is also a Fighter Practice.
Fighter Practice is not usually held locally on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas
Day, New Year's Day or Easter Day, Father's Day or Mother's Day.)
Populace meets the last Thursday of a month at Gander Mountain  Conference
room on Dowlen at EasTex Freeway.

Please be welcomed to examine the baronial web page at www.bordermarch.org.
The next "large" event hosted locally is Autumn Melees, in November, the
week immediately prior to Thanksgiving, hosted at the BorderKeep north of
Colmesneil.  (See also the web page, please.)  There are many travel
opportunities for events within a few hours drive.  See the Kingdom Calendar
at www.ansteorra.org
There is always a way for everyone to lend a hand and get involved at
hosting local events, even the very newest participants who might wish to
take water to the fighters or bring wood to the kitchen fire.

Several individuals in this populace are learning to sew, and several others
sew quite well as a business or trade out.  At the present time I am not
certain who  --due to many of life's milestones--  may or may not be
available for tailoring garb for you.

Any available SCA tailors out there reading this?

In this area we shop the fabric sales (and coupons off) at places such as
JoAnn's Fabrics. Wal-Mart sometimes has fairly nice period-type fabrics.
Linen is an appropriate fabric to use if the price range is good for you.
You MIGHT find advertisements of people in the modern world who will sew for
hire.  There are usually bulletin boards near the pattern sections or the
measuring tables where business cards may be left.
[You can also find near-period patterns for garb if you look in a few of the
pattern books behind the "COSTUME" or "THEATRE" divider tabs.]

Also, The Hospitaller manages loaner garb for someone's first event if you'd
like to borrow something from the garb chest.  You might contact Vaclav from
a click on the webpage.

Enjoy the current middle ages,
Tessa