[Bordermarch] Rogers Park, Aug 7, Talking and Planning

tessa tessa at gt.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 20:42:35 PDT 2008

This evening scheduled at Rogers Park was an absolute blast!
Yeah, that's right, a blast from a furnace...  Heat, Sweat, BLinding sunset!
Blasting the mosquitoes off of yourself...

But a great happy gathering! The Baron & Baroness, Sasha, Godric & Evelyn, Oakin, Keith, Zane & Simonn,
Krysten & her brother, Catalina, and myself had more fun than the winter olympics!
Families with kids coming from playing in the water were mesmerized by looking at armor and weapons. There were two interested ladies walking through the park who requested all kinds of information of what this happy group of people were doing here.  We about talked their ears numb... and gave them contact data.

Sitting around talking,  we worked on several carpool arrangements to King's Round Table in Oklahoma, and gave ourselves reminders of how many of us will be the service crew for giving out water at Raven's Fort in September.
Everyone's lives were described as busier than usual: school work-home work, job responsibilities that are demanding, getting well, parents needing their kids and kids needing their parents, family adjustments, family ties, individuals' church committees or opportunities, other community involvements, projects in the home/s, projects around the home/s, projects at the home/s, ... and some sca projects; however, it was too dark to do any handwork...
some unexpected travel and planned travels, civic responsibilities, "required reading...," scheduled work weekends at site (check out the baronial calendar for others);  tying down the hatches in advance for Edouard, then being soooooo glad that is was only lightening and rain with minor inconveniences... all busy lives...
but an evening in the park was a great investment of time into the friendships that the barony family shares. Improved armor and different offensive/defensive moves were only one of the topics of conversation. There is high interest in court heraldry and ways to learn more.  We had teaching about important papers that need to be taken care of for minors;   we even made up Pennsic stories, waiting on true news.  That is the kind of contagious interest that keeps the barony joyfully sparked!

If, by the way, you have not met Little Pam the Ram Keeper, you can meet her on line at bordermarch with information about the forthcoming November Melees.
Go to <bordermarch.org> Then click on the link to Melees.