[Bordermarch] Period Games

Phocas phocas at bordermarch.org
Fri Aug 22 18:42:47 PDT 2008

Lady Meresankh,
     How cool!   I've played Farkel a bit in the past before my SCA days and
we were addicted to playing for a good while.  I had no idea it was a period
game....  So I wanted to know more and went looking it up...  This is what I
found:
------------------
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  Farkle or Farkel is a dice game that has also been called Zonk, Zilch,
5000, 10000, Wimp Out, Hot Dice, Buzzball, Oh Crap, Quack, Sand, and
Greed[1]. Its origins as a folk game are unknown, but it has been marketed
since 1996 under the brand name Pocket Farkel[2]. While the basic rules are
well-established, there is a wide range of variation in both scoring and
play, as described below...
------------------
from http://renstorearticles.blogspot.com/2007/03/farkle-game-of-dice.html
  One popular game in the time of Queen Bess was known as Farkle. It is a
kinsman to Yatzee and easy to learn. Add some period style entertainment to
your next event with this fun game that can be played by two or more players
just about anywhere.
from: http://www.farkel.com/facts.php
   History of Farkel:

The original game is said to have been first played in Iceland by Sir Albert
Farkle in the 14th century. Since then, it has been played in a few
different styles, but the original game has survived for over 700 years. So
there must be something to it!

IYS,
Phocas