[Bordermarch] chainmalle question

dan newby danvnewby at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 02:04:50 PST 2008

I may not be an expert on maille armor,  but i have built 2 suits, so i will offer my advice on what i have figured out.

Both of my suits are pull over with no clasps except for around the neck area to make it snug to my neck.   One suit i made tight fitting to my body,  the other suit has plenty of extra space for me.  The tight fit is very nice and comfortable in a standing position, but is very restricting in a fight.  Loose fitting is a little uncomfortable but is the only way to go in a fighting situation.  Always know that they were designed very large to fit over a padded gambeson(shirt).

I have researched alot on Russian armor for my persona.  So i do not know much on the European Maille.  The Russian Maille in my opinion is far superior to the European maille.
There are many pictures of Russian Maille that are clasped in the back,  the front,  and on both sides of the ribs just below the armpits.  Here is the link of these pictures.

http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Mordak/mordakarmor.pdf

For clasping up the back of the armor  -  you will need another person to help you.  For it is physically impossible to do it yourself.

For clasping up the front of the armor  -  you can easily get in and out of it yourself.  But there will be a weak spot in the front, and that is where your opponent's sword will be aimed at.  I suggest a flap of mail that covers over the lacing and hooks to ties to the side of your chest.  This was also historically done in those times.

For clasping on both sides of the armor -  You  will still need to pull it on or off of you like a shirt,  and then tighten it to your waist as you see fit.  This style is alot easier to pull on or off than a full shirt.

A lil tip.  maille is heavy.  use a strong, thick belt to help support the weight around your waist.  Pull up the maille and let it overhang the belt  (think of it looking like a fat mans belly hanging over his pants line)  this will make the suit easier to wear over long periods of time.
With out that,  all the weight is centered on your shoulders,  as opposed to both shoulders and waist supporting the weight.

The romans had a very unique suit of maille also, try and check that out also (sorry no link for that)

Any more questions contact me

In Service,

Sasha Syn Nevsky