[Bordermarch] Fighter Practice 01/17/08

Lathrop, Dave Dave.Lathrop at valero.com
Fri Jan 18 06:54:24 PST 2008

Greetings Bordermarch,

Although it was cold and windy last night, fighter practice was still
very well attended by heavy and light fighters. Lord Adolf and Sir
Simonn lined the heavy fighters up and practiced shield wall exercises
for a couple of hours while the light fighters worked out their
frustrations on each other.  Group defense and offense drills were
practiced with the war shields, as well as one-on-one infighting. War
shield practice teaches new fighters that their entire existence depends
on others in the line maintaining their position and keeping their
shields locked together. If one person slips-up and lets their shield
drop or be pulled aside then the person next to him will more than
likely be nailed by a spear. During the ravine battle at war one is
expected to maintain the shield wall for more than 30 minutes at a time,
therefore; constant practice holding up a war shield cannot be stressed
enough. It builds stamina and embeds a trust in your fellow fighters
that can only be earned by standing together on the line with the
knowledge the the person next to you is depending on you to protect him
from unseen danger. Another lesson taught last night was if, during a
one-on-one fight, a fighter twice your size attempts to attack using the
shield as a battering ram you must not remain planted in one spot. The
bigger person will naturally wail on your head with his sword as he
tramples you underfoot. One must bend like the willow and slip to the
side of the opponent's shield using fancy footwork similar to dancing a
two-step.
Last night our rapier marshal, Nicolai, was face to face with Josh, a
fairly new light fighter. Nick likes to teach his new fighters the
basics to give them a firm foundation for further advanced lessons. He
takes it slow and stresses control and accuracy, "Pointy end goes here."
As they lined up Josh demanded that Nick come at him full force. Nick
urged him to take it slow at first, but Josh wanted it all. Nick
shrugged his shoulders. "Are you sure about this Josh?"  Josh steeled
himself. "Just bring it on, if I'm going to learn I might as well face
all you've got right now." Josh prepared himself by taking a defensive
stance, ready to be blitzed by Nick, but also ready to defend himself
with all he had. Just then Nick, quick as lightning, stabbed him in the
foot!  Josh moaned and stared at his foot for a moment then took his
rightful place on the cold hard ground. One could hear Sasha, one of
Nick's fighters, mumble under his breath. "Sucks doesn't it."
It was good to see Lord Gavin back in good form as well as some new
faces that showed up to watch and learn about the SCA and all it has to
offer. I don't think there is a group anywhere that offers more of a
family atmosphere and teaches better values that can be extended into
our daily lives than what we have right here in Bordermarch.
With Gulf War looming around the corner we need to get a head count on
those planning to attend so we can turn it in to the Coastal landocrat.
Be sure to plan for cold, wet, hot, windy and dry weather. There will be
plenty of classes to take and more than enough battles to fight.You will
wander through merchants row and kick yourself for not bringing more
money. The smell of fresh baked goods constantly permeates the air with
music and singing everywhere. When you see the thousands of medieval
tents and pavilions spread out over the land and people  everywhere who
all share the dream, you'll realize your finally home.
As the event approaches we will plan on possibly caravanning so we don't
get too lost on the way.