[Bordermarch] Fighter Practice

Lathrop, Dave David.Lathrop at valero.com
Fri Apr 17 05:50:42 PDT 2009

Greetings Bordermarch,

The weather held for the evening, and we had a great fighter practice.
The pre-event meeting was held just before practice, and the Ladies had everything worked out down to who will empty the garbage cans in the restrooms.
In attendance were: Sir Simonn, Countess Tessa, Lord Zane, Lord Sasha, Don Armand, Lord Nicolai, Lady Bianca, m'lord Zach, HE Therese and friends, Lord Yaghi, Lady Padraigin, Lady Libby, Lord Okum,  Lord Adolf, Lord Brand Erric, Lord Decimus, m'lord Josh, m'lord Garry, Lord Justin, Dona Leah, Lady Catalina, m'lord Darrel and family, HE Elisabeth and myself. Perhaps I missed someone, but I'm getting so very old.

Several interested folks stopped by and were introduced by our members to the various aspects and venues the SCA has to offer a newcomer. They were invited to our upcoming Baronial in May, and inquired as to contact info. They were all given our cards with web page info and phone numbers. One lady just happened to be in the park with her children and had to call her husband to come out before we left for the evening. The whole family was very interested with the husband, Steven, taking some interest in the rapier fighting. One visiting young man, 13yrs, has been working with Sir Simonn and Don Armand since he was 6yrs old, at the Last Days of Christ Demo. He has been patiently waiting until he comes of age to be able to fight.
As Elisabeth and I were leaving, two young men saw  the fighting and stopped to inquire. Sir Simonn and the others gathered up their shields and vast array of weapons for the boys to drool over. They were still at it when we drove off.

As aside note; I started to make a long bow the other day  from some quartered black cherry that has been seasoning for years in one of my select wood piles.  The band saw was tuned in to perfection and was cutting like a dream. I had my draw knives sharpened and laid out on the workbench. My custom made scrapers were neatly wrapped in their oil-cloth pouch within easy reach.
I made the initial cuts and trimmed the stave to within close tolerances to the finished dimensions. One more final pass through the band saw and I could then begin to tiller the stave. My dream of building my own bow was in full bloom when my mind wandered, and I sliced the precious black cherry bow stave completely in half on the band saw!
I'm thinking of now making pygmy bows from my ruined black cherry, and giving them to the little people that are constantly hounding Nomis. I shall have them seek out and cause much misery to all those involved in locking me in a porta-potty at Gulf Wars.