[Bordermarch] Equestrian championship adventure...

Thelismar at bordermarch.org Thelismar at bordermarch.org
Tue Mar 9 19:44:43 PST 2010

Greetings your excellencies & all citizens of Barony Bordermarch,

    The following paragraphs will describe the adventures that m'lady
Carin, lady Padraigin, & HE lady Elisabeth & I had during our trek across
Ansteorra to attend the Baronial equestrian championships held in Shire
Ffynnon Gath.
    That Friday started like any other. Carin & I were some what anxious &
excited about the trip. Getting ready was actually quite seamless. When
Carin made a run to our local Hospitaller temple bank to get gold coin I
made a run to Sir Simonn's manor to make last minute repairs to my
shortsword. I made the run back to our own Kitten's Keep manor to find out
that HE's carriage would arrive slightly ahead of schedule...grand luck.
   After the carriage was loaded Carin gave the ladies a grand tour of our
humble Kitten's Keep. The trek began w/ foul weather which quickly gave
way to clearing skies...more grand luck. The ladies & I shared jokes &
tales of our youth & childhoods. I must admit that I was giggling as much
like a schoolgirl as any of the women (maybe more). We stopped @ a dinner
inn out in the West Gate? area. We shared dinner & more stories. Before we
knew it we were @ the inn in Ffynnon Gath.
   We checked in to our room & stowed our belongings. The ladies wanted to
eat & I had also proposed a small scouting mission to locate site. The
ladies agreed that this was a grand idea so off we went. In fifteen
minutes we were @ the site & greeted by the ranch owner m'lord Wade who
told us we were in the right place. We shared pleasantries & then sped off
to feast @ a local restaurant. Dinner ended so now it was time to find the
local market & load up on foodstuffs for the event. As is always the case
we bought more stuff than needed but once more giggled @ every silly thing
we encountered. Back @ the hotel we went to bed but not before talking
ourselves to sleep, and yes, more giggling occurred.
   The next morning I awoke @ 6 am fully replenished but hungry. I crept
into the bath to shower so as not to awaken the ladies. After dressing I
snuck out of the bath & went to the inn's breakfast area to give the
ladies some "private" dressing & cleaning time. I was gone fully one hour
& twenty minutes. I returned to find them just stirring. More giggles.
   Around 8 30 am found us all ready to eat in the lobby. The carriage was
loaded & we were on our way around 9 30am. It was 10 am when we arrived &
checked in @ gate. HE Sir Henri asked for my assistance w /stringing the
pavilion. After promptly seeing this errand finished M'lord Wade, the
owner of the ranch, & I soon dressed up for some one-on-one chivalric
combat behind the pavilion. We fought several rounds before taking a small
break. Then, as would happen all day, another fighter showed up. He was
m'lord Floyd of Brym Gwlad. A new fighter whos first event was our very
own BAM. We were fighting a bit when some lady in a white belt yells @ us
"hands up". Thinking we under arrest we both raised our arms in unison.
The white belted lady was none other than Her Grace Sir Britta. In my
defense I thought i was spooking some of the animals w/ our combat. Not
the case, she just wanted to correct mine & Floyd's combat techniques.
   As stated above, one-by-one fighters of all caliber showed up.
Centurion John of Severn, M'lord "Jim" from Brym Gwlad, HG Sir Britta, SIr
Caladin, Sir Evets, Sir Alexis, his squire, Lord Galen?, and a brand new
young fighter whos name escapes me. From each I am grateful for the new
experiences & techniques that each showed me. It felt on the whole like an
advanced fighter practice. I am also very grateful for facing Sir Britta
who suited up against me after a six month hiatus due to an injury. The
skills tallied were: Cent. John-balance on the balls of your feet; Sir
Britta-quick & glancing attacks using fast footwork; Sir Caladin-new
styles & forms of attack/defense; Sir Evets-new styles of attack/defense;
and finally Sir Alexis-who showed me the importance of energy conservation
& not attacking the "no-fly zone" if no opportunity exists...The Grandest
luck.
   The ladies also went above & beyond the call by providing a refreshment
table & water to all the combatants. During breaks in our ground combat
fun was enjoyed by all viewing the equestrian events. M'lady Debbie Roeske
ended up winning the competition going head-to-head w/ Sir Britta. All
sorts of gifts & prizes were bestowed to her. M'lady Debbie seems like she
will be an excellent champion & represent the Barony with the utmost class
& grace.
   Our day finally ended on the Sixth hour after noon. We had dinner in
garb @ the local IHOP. The waitstaff loved our ensemble. Likewise, there
were many amused & confused looks by the diners...Giggle Central.
   Our trek home was speedy & filled w/ tired laughs. One big laugh was my
suggestion that we stop in the Katy Wal-Mart to use the restroom and see
if we wind up on the people of walmart. com website (as we were still in
garb). My wife suggested that we take pics of ourselves & post them on
that site...Funny girl...Cooler heads prevailed as i had to agree w/ the
Baroness that Kingdom might frown on this if they got wind. One of those
"it seemed like a good idea at the time" ideas.
   Well, we made it home alive & slightly tired but much more rich in
experience & camaraderie...Thank you Your Excellency & Lady Padraigin for
sharing your time & laughs w/ Carin & I....M'lord Beau Delamere