[Bordermarch] ink from Hickory Nuts

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 15:10:23 PST 2012

Ok, I really just have to weigh in here.... hickory nut ink.
You  don't need the nuts in the ink, only the husks... it's the tannin from the nut husks that create the ink/dye.

Be advised that the ink can be somewhat acidic or corrosive; when used on paper products, over time it can eat through the paper; even some vellum (skins) were affected with the acidity -  so would not suggest using on scrolls you expect to last a very, very long time - may some simpler prize scrolls, but not award elevation scrolls.
The tannins may stain one's hands when removing the hulls, might want to wear gloves.  You may want to add a drop of some oils (oil of cloves is one, I believe) to stay off mold.

Do not seriously consider adding the resultant 'Hickory flavored fluid ' in any food products, do not eat or drink this concoction, remember you put a rusty nail in there too, and no telling what other pests maybe in the husks.  Else, you maybe running to HE Elizabeth to find what ail's thee and seek for a cure.   Eat the shelled nuts, to be sure, but not the 'ink' concoction, in my opinion.

Here are a few links on some processes (some are for walnuts, same process):
http://basketmakers.org/topics/tutorials/walnutdye.htm
http://www.phancypages.com/newsletter/ZNewsletter538.htm
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/170483-making-walnut-and-butternut-inks/
http://sites.google.com/site/ianthegreen01/ian'sinkmakingpage/oak-gall-ink-2
Do some searches on 'period ink', and SCA Scribal Handbooks for each kingdom

There are some historical ink recipies, but don't have access to those right now.

Cheers, Hillary