CR - Central Principality

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 15 08:49:40 PST 1998

---Todd Marsh <tmarsh at algoma.com> wrote:
> Unto the assembled nobles and gentles of Central Ansteorra,
> Llywelyn Gruffydd sends greetings.

And to you also, Your Excellency.

(Brief technical note from my nasty List Admin side: I suspect that
your software may be one of those which does not insert line breaks,
based upon how your message originally quoted in this reply [only
one "quote marker" per paragraph]. If you wouldn't mind, please try
to give a return every 70 characters or so next time you post. Will
give me some base info to work from...)

> I am pleased to see discussion in this forum about how to
> improve the region.  It is my opinion that focusing our
> efforts on activities in the region would improve the people
> of the region, the entity we now call the central region, and
> Ansteorra. Therefore I propose that we begin working towards
> the creation of a Principality.

"Shhh! Be vewwy, vewwy quiet, we're building community first...."

Indeed, you seem to have nailed very early in the process one of the
eventual goals that seems to be part and parcel of building stronger
regions -- eventual advancement to Principality status.

My primary concern is that we in the Central Region may need to
"prove out" *as a region* before we seriously take up the greater
cause of Principality. By direct observation, having old ties and
recent travel experience, I'd say that "Nordsteorra" could already
sustain, and grow, advancement to principality status. I'm not at
all currently convinced that Central can reach the same level of
preparation in less than three to five years.

> I believe that the purpose of the SCA is to educate its members.
> When considering any major change, we should ask if the people
> affected will have more opportunities to learn, grow, and do the
> activities they want to do because of the change.  I think a
> Principality would promote more nearby events, have more offices
> to fill, and give people more responsibility. Principality
> offices would give people a better preparation for Kingdom (or
> even real-world) offices than regional ones. People in shires
> would have a better chance of seeing royalty at their events.
> Principality awards would be available to recognize achievement.

All of this is indeed true. However, I must note that we are already
hard-pressed to fill some vacancies in local offices, much less
regional or higher venues. I may be speaking from a narrow
experience in this respect, but must ask that it be considered how
many openings for local officer positions receive only one or two
applicants, and sometimes remain unfilled for extended periods of
time if not among the "big six" required stations.

Can stronger support from a regional "officer training team"
overcome our current limitations in regard to qualified officers
(or, hope beyond hope, two-deep leadership with deputies for every
office serving as training positions)?

A portion of these concerns must lie in working more diligently to
convert "social" participants in SCA activities to "funtional"
participation. Example (probably controversial, but then I am told
that I excel at creating that): of the more than 500 attendees for
Steppes Twelfth Night this year, consider how many actually "worked"
the event. How much difficulty was there in recruiting feast
servers? How few remained to assist with clean-up? How difficult was
it to recruit (AND obtain service from people recruited) for other
necessary functions? How many of those who did work during the event
were filling multiple working roles?

> The region would benefit from the focus.  We could start today
> implementing the suggestions Richard and Amra have made, but
> I'll bet we would get more help if we had a name and heraldry
> to rally around.  More events within a short drive would give
> more opportunities for people to get to know the SCA, or show
> their arts, or test their skills at combat.

The standard counter-arguments to more short-drive events entail
consideration of their negative impact upon more distant events
within the kingdom. Understand please that I am under no compulsion
to support every far-flung outpost for every effort, but I think
that we *should* at least consider the degree of impact any shift in
emphasis by participants in the Central will have "out there,
thataway".

A name and heraldry might help in establishing a stronger regional
or principality identity. I personally doubt that they would
engender significantly more participation by the bulk of the
populace in the longer term unless and except that identity be built
up by stages...

> Ansteorra would be stronger if the region were stronger.

No argument whatsoever here! Anything that strengthens the SCA
within the kingdom, at whatever level of organization or
aggregation, strengthens the whole of the kingdom.

> For example, the kingdom would benefit if a new first-time
> King had already been a ruling Prince (which I think is likely).

In the interim, does not the emerging Ansteorran system of regional
Warlords serve a similar function? Perhaps not the same, certainly,
but at least a certain level of administrative duties, ceremonial
functions, and the like.

> I do not foresee a time when the central region would become a
> separate kingdom.  The Principality army would march as one unit
> of the Ansteorran army at Gulf Wars. We would still be the people
> of the Star.

Some months ago I addressed this issue at greater length on the
kingdom mailing list. (There *is* a potential mechanism allowing any
of the current regions to advance to its natural limits and still
remain "people of the Star", provided that we are willing as those
People to extend the SCA system to include "Empire" or "League" or
"Over-kingdom" territorial designations... note that I have seldom
been accused of dreaming small dreams!)

> Other regions can make their own decisions.  I have no "master
> plan" for other principalities.  I think that Nordsteorra
> (northern region) would soon follow, but that is their choice.
> I want this because I think it is best for us.

In time, in due time, I must agree with your words. It is my opinion
that we are some years away from being ready to make the leap,
however.

> There are 3 people in the region whose status and influence would
> be reduced if there were a Prince and Princess.  They are Baron
> Edwin, Baroness Zara Zina, and I.  A local Prince would run some
> courts and give some awards that we are now allowed to do.  I
> think that is a small price to pay for the benefits of the
> Principality.

With respect, status as a principality might in some ways increase
the status and influence of landed baronials in *this* region. I
have no reason to believe that many of the kingdom-level awards
would actually need to be shifted to any such Prince/ss. What
*would* happen with certainty is that a new hierarchy of
Principality-level awards would be instituted, and more people would
have more chances to demonstrate their skills, abilities, and
willingness to work.

> What do you think?  What name would we choose?  What heraldry?

I offer for consideration a name based loosely upon one of Richard
Fairborne's comments: Herzschwartzsterren (somebody check my
MHGerman: I'm trying for the *meaning*: "Heart [of the] sable star").

Proposed device: Or, on a mullet of five greater and five lesser
points sable a heart or

(I *know* there is a better blazon for this, just can't recall it
currently.)

> (There, that oughta liven things up a bit around here!)

I should certainly hope so! (Particularly considering the traffic
flood on the Kingdom list the last time this type of discussion
roused itself...)

Again, thanks to your Excellency for stating the matter concisely
and in a straightforward progression. I ask that my critical
comments and suggestions be accepted in the light which they were
written, which I intended to be improving region, kingdom, and
Society.

Amra
semi-pro agitator, bard and Bard
===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com