CR - Central Principality

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Thu Jan 15 17:21:43 PST 1998

Galen yet again!

Mike C. Baker wrote:

> ---Paul Mitchell <pmitchel at flash.net> wrote:
>
> Galen, I'm going to consider each of the points required
> individually. Some will be brief comments, other observations may be
> a bit more extensive. (Yes, Amra is at it again!)
>
> > Here's the actual rules of the game regarding principalities:
> > **********
> > _Corpora_ V.A.2. Principalities. A principality is a part of a
> > kingdom which has the right to select a reigning Prince and
> > Princess by combat. A branch or contiguous group of branches
> > within a kingdom may petition for principality status if the
> > resulting entity would fulfill the requirements listed below.
>
> Since the administrative Region theoretically has no particular
> relationship to the Principality under consideration, one matter
> that will have to be addressed will be any branches who would prefer
> to "opt out" of being included in the Principality. Should there
> also be consideration given to petitions for contiguous branches who
> might want to "opt in"?

Don't see why not.

> >    a. At least 100 subscribing members.
>
> Yep, Steppes alone satisfies this one. Particularly if including
> cantons, colleges, and outlying regions (with various branch
> statuses currently in transition...)
>
> >    b. A full staff of prospective Great Officers, each of whom
> >       is acceptable to the kingdom officer responsible for the
> >       direction of that aspect of Society activity, and such other
> >       officers as kingdom law and custom may require.
>
> I think any potential slate of Great Officers that immediately comes
> to my mind includes one or more people currently serving as local
> officer, kingdom officer, or "retired" (burned out / reduced SCA
> participation for mundane reasons / otherwise questionable
> availability). But I will admit I've not been getting out as much as
> I should, and it remains to be seen how much "overlap" would be
> allowed / expected / permitted.

My first thought is naturally the slate of regional officers.  Any
not wishing to serve could be replaced.  No doubt in my mind on this
point.

> As Ansteorra has no Kingdom law in place with regard to subsidiary
> Principalities, some consideration of proposed extensions to Kingdom
> law in the matter of required officers would be needed. (See below.)

Certainly we would need to petition the Crown for some additions
to Kingdom Law.

> >    c. A name and device registered with the College of Arms.
>
> Doable, with registration made in name of the Incipient P. (Heraldic
> materials reverting to Kingdom control if P. falls through...)
>
> >    d. Consensus favoring advancement in branch status, among
> >       the members in the proposed principality.
>
> TBD. Petitions & plebiscites or other mechanics to be arranged.
>
> >    e. A record of well-attended events together with regular
> >       study or guild meetings, demonstrations, and other
> educational
> >       activities for the benefit of the members and the community
> at
> >       large.
>
> Individual branches have this track record, but I can't say that the
> Region has performed well in this regard so far. (The "regional"
> events in my memory have mostly been presented by one local branch
> with support from *individuals* from other branch areas.) Yes,
> Central has been the physical location of all of the above. They
> were not organized as events of an incipient P., were not conducted
> in expectation of an incipient P., and were generally credited to
> the efforts of a local branch or the Kingdom or are
> non-attributable. (Steppes hosting of three Known World events in
> less than two years, for example, accrues to the local branck,
> kingdom, or Society as a whole.)
>
> Damn semantical point, but one that will need to be addressed
> cogently in any petition for advancement in status.

How about this quote from _Corpora_ above:

"...may petition for principality status if the
 resulting entity would fulfill the requirements..."

This is not a test for our region to pass.  We don't have to
have been a region at all.  But the fact is, the people of the
Central Region have an excellent record over the past 25 years
or so of doing all these things.

> >    f. Sufficient members of the orders conferring Patents of Arms
> >       to foster the development of those orders and the skills
> >       they represent within the principality.
>
> NO problem. Think we've got enough of the Grant-level polling orders
> as well...
>
> >    g. Sufficient fighters of such caliber as to provide appropriate
> >       competition for the Coronet.
>
> Plenty of competition available. Rules probably needed within
> proposed law to deal with potential non-resident entries to Coronet
> Tourney.
>
> >    h. A body of principality law which provides for the maintenance
> >       and succession of the Coronet, and for any other matters
> >       delegated or permitted by the parent kingdom. Draft laws,
> >       in the form they will be presented to the victors of the
> >       first Coronet Lists, must accompany a petition for
> >       principality status.
>
> Galen, I presume you can help by providing examples from
> Drachenwald. Ansteorran examples from pre-Kingdom should be easy
> enough to locate. Are there any components that should be considered
> from more recently advanced Principalities, or particular pit-falls
> to avoid in the drafting process?

I have made a study of SCA law, and I believe that writing a simple
set of Principality Laws, consistent with Ansteorran Law, would be
a simple matter.

--
pmitchel at flash.net \ http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"I'm outta here."