CR - Central Principality

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 15 14:54:05 PST 1998

---Paul Mitchell <pmitchel at flash.net> wrote:

Galen, I'm going to consider each of the points required
individually. Some will be brief comments, other observations may be
a bit more extensive. (Yes, Amra is at it again!)

> Here's the actual rules of the game regarding principalities:
> **********
> _Corpora_ V.A.2. Principalities. A principality is a part of a
> kingdom which has the right to select a reigning Prince and
> Princess by combat. A branch or contiguous group of branches
> within a kingdom may petition for principality status if the
> resulting entity would fulfill the requirements listed below.

Since the administrative Region theoretically has no particular
relationship to the Principality under consideration, one matter
that will have to be addressed will be any branches who would prefer
to "opt out" of being included in the Principality. Should there
also be consideration given to petitions for contiguous branches who
might want to "opt in"?

>    a. At least 100 subscribing members.

Yep, Steppes alone satisfies this one. Particularly if including
cantons, colleges, and outlying regions (with various branch
statuses currently in transition...)

>    b. A full staff of prospective Great Officers, each of whom
>       is acceptable to the kingdom officer responsible for the
>       direction of that aspect of Society activity, and such other
>       officers as kingdom law and custom may require.

I think any potential slate of Great Officers that immediately comes
to my mind includes one or more people currently serving as local
officer, kingdom officer, or "retired" (burned out / reduced SCA
participation for mundane reasons / otherwise questionable
availability). But I will admit I've not been getting out as much as
I should, and it remains to be seen how much "overlap" would be
allowed / expected / permitted.

As Ansteorra has no Kingdom law in place with regard to subsidiary
Principalities, some consideration of proposed extensions to Kingdom
law in the matter of required officers would be needed. (See below.)

>    c. A name and device registered with the College of Arms.

Doable, with registration made in name of the Incipient P. (Heraldic
materials reverting to Kingdom control if P. falls through...)

>    d. Consensus favoring advancement in branch status, among
>       the members in the proposed principality.

TBD. Petitions & plebiscites or other mechanics to be arranged.

>    e. A record of well-attended events together with regular
>       study or guild meetings, demonstrations, and other
educational
>       activities for the benefit of the members and the community
at
>       large.

Individual branches have this track record, but I can't say that the
Region has performed well in this regard so far. (The "regional"
events in my memory have mostly been presented by one local branch
with support from *individuals* from other branch areas.) Yes,
Central has been the physical location of all of the above. They
were not organized as events of an incipient P., were not conducted
in expectation of an incipient P., and were generally credited to
the efforts of a local branch or the Kingdom or are
non-attributable. (Steppes hosting of three Known World events in
less than two years, for example, accrues to the local branck,
kingdom, or Society as a whole.)

Damn semantical point, but one that will need to be addressed
cogently in any petition for advancement in status.

>    f. Sufficient members of the orders conferring Patents of Arms
>       to foster the development of those orders and the skills
>       they represent within the principality.

NO problem. Think we've got enough of the Grant-level polling orders
as well...

>    g. Sufficient fighters of such caliber as to provide appropriate
>       competition for the Coronet.

Plenty of competition available. Rules probably needed within
proposed law to deal with potential non-resident entries to Coronet
Tourney.

>    h. A body of principality law which provides for the maintenance
>       and succession of the Coronet, and for any other matters
>       delegated or permitted by the parent kingdom. Draft laws,
>       in the form they will be presented to the victors of the
>       first Coronet Lists, must accompany a petition for
>       principality status.

Galen, I presume you can help by providing examples from
Drachenwald. Ansteorran examples from pre-Kingdom should be easy
enough to locate. Are there any components that should be considered
from more recently advanced Principalities, or particular pit-falls
to avoid in the drafting process?

> As I see it, we presently lack c), d), and h), of which only
> d) above would be hard to do (maybe).  (Note:  Steppes by
> itself could probably qualify, just by passing around a petition.)

d) may prove to be simple. h) could be the stumbling block if we are
not careful, particularly as it should require / offer amendments to
Kingdom law in addition to establishing Principality law.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com