CR - Central Principality

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Fri Jan 16 09:20:56 PST 1998

Galen replies...

Lee Martindale wrote:

> Paul Mitchell wrote:
>
> > We tell them the pluses and minuses and then ask them if
> > they think the benefits are worth the costs.
>
> It would be very helpful to me, and perhaps others reading this
> discussion, to see those "pluses and minuses" delineated here
> and early on in the discussion.  Might I impose on you to do
> so?

Sure!  I'll take a swing at that below!

> I ask because there's a definite feeling of "runaway horse"
> in this thread.  I think having more of a handle on the
> practicalities would go a long way toward quelling the natural
> inclination to dig in my wheels against overenthusiasm.

Please don't be afraid of that.  So far this is no more significant
than any other internet dicussion.  Which is to say not very.  A
couple of us, mainly Amra and I, have traded notes about how, why,
and whether, but the time to oppose this idea won't pass for months
to come, if it gets pushed forward.  You will not wake up next week,
nor even next month, and find that --poof!-- you're living in a
principality and it's too late to do anything about it.

> Thank you,
>
> --
> Lee Martindale / Llereth Wyddffa an Myrddin / The Copper Bard
> email: lmartin at airmail.net
> http://web2.airmail.net/lmartin

Central Region Principality pros & cons as I see them,
in no particular order, by Galen:

PROs:

1.  It would be fun.

2.  We'd get to do new stuff with new heraldry, create new traditions,
write new ceremonies, and make new regalia.

3.  We'd have a bunch of new nobility as we make new Viscounts and
Viscountesses to recognize our former rulers.

4.  More people would have opportunities to serve; in principality
office, as entourage, and in many other roles, ceremonial and
otherwise.

5.  Being a principality officer would be more prestigious and
rewarding than being a regional officer; I think more people would
want to do it.

6.  New awards to create, and then earn.  (Admit it; SCA awards are
fun.)

7.  In addition to new opportunity to excel as a fighter, we'd probably
have Principality bardic and A&S competitions.

8.  The principality army marching under the black star and its own
banner onto the field at Gulf Wars.  And Pennsic.  A Prince would be
much more effective in pulling together an army than a regional
warlord.

9.  It would be a lot of work.  For those of us who enjoy work,
that's a good thing.

10.  It would focus more attention on the small groups of the region,
giving them the chance to host Coronet Tournies, Investitures, A&S/Bardic
events, and whatever other principality events get held.  I know
Rosenfeld was very disappointed last summer not to get to host
Coronation; this would be a chance for them to make extra money from
other events.

11.  If we have a principality newsletter (and a newsletter would be
more easily done, I think, as a principality than as a region), that
would likewise help to foster more interaction within the area.

12.  Easier to get royal attention from Prince & Princess than from
King & Queen.

CONs

1.  It would be a lot of work.  For those of us who don't like work,
that's a bad thing.

2.  It would clutter up the Kingdom Calendar with more events, and
re-focus a lot of attention that now other groups outside the region
enjoy, onto groups within our area.  (i.e.:  we'd travel less to
outside events)

3.  Harder to get attention from King & Queen.

4.  More people thinking they can tell people what to do.

That's all I can think of.

- Galen of Bristol

--
pmitchel at flash.net \ http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"The Constitution is a radical document ... it is the job