CR - Prerequisites To Principality

Lee Martindale lmartin at airmail.net
Fri Jan 30 10:03:17 PST 1998

Galen wrote:

> But when I opposed the principality issue, I described what
> would be required to get my support -- which has now happened.
> What would the world look like before you'd support upgrading
> our region to principality status?  Assuming you'd agree that
> having Ansteorra organize into a principality wasn't a mistake,
> what made that OK?

Fair questions that go to the meat of the matter, which is
why I've split them out into a separate thread.

Before I could consider supporting the idea of a principality,
I would need to see the cart and horse in proper practical
order.  Show me solid evidence of the benefits being
claimed and minimal presence of the detrimental effects
I envision.  Actual, not theoretically, right here in
Central Region, over a reaonable amount of time.  Show me
some success toward the original goals of the original
discussion on regional cooperation and coordination.

Breaking it down further:

1) A "project period" of between one and two years, with
the "project" being the facilitation of regional identity
and the aforementioned cooperation and coordination.

2) Give the "project" a fair chance to stand or fail on
its own merits.  Promote the regional goals for all
they're worth, but don't muddy the waters with promotion
of principality.

3) Prove that local chapters can work together by *doing*
it.  Establish that Regional Council that was mentioned,
put together two or more cooperative, regional events to
show it can be done and how well it works.  Go for broke
and make one of them a Kingdom-level event.

4) Track and report the effect of the "project" on all
local groups in the region.

5) Track and report the effect of the "project" on
membership and participation as a whole.

Don't just tell me it will work - show me.  Give me
the evidence of success with the "project" and, in
doing so, give me solid reasons to change my mind.

Fair enough?

--
Lee Martindale / Llereth Wyddffa an Myrddin / The Copper Bard
email: lmartin at airmail.net
http://web2.airmail.net/lmartin