CR - Prerequisites To Principality

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Fri Jan 30 08:24:02 PST 1998

Galen again...

Lee Martindale wrote:

> Galen wrote:
>
> > But when I opposed the principality issue, I described what
> > would be required to get my support -- which has now happened.
> > What would the world look like before you'd support upgrading
> > our region to principality status?  Assuming you'd agree that
> > having Ansteorra organize into a principality wasn't a mistake,
> > what made that OK?
>
> Fair questions that go to the meat of the matter, which is
> why I've split them out into a separate thread.

Fair enough.  But you didn't answer the second question...

> Before I could consider supporting the idea of a principality,
> I would need to see the cart and horse in proper practical
> order.  Show me solid evidence of the benefits being
> claimed and minimal presence of the detrimental effects
> I envision.  Actual, not theoretically, right here in
> Central Region, over a reaonable amount of time.  Show me
> some success toward the original goals of the original
> discussion on regional cooperation and coordination.
>
> Breaking it down further:
>
> 1) A "project period" of between one and two years, with
> the "project" being the facilitation of regional identity
> and the aforementioned cooperation and coordination.

Possible, but this is harder to do in a regional framework.
That "regional identity" this has practical aspects, as well
as symbolic ones, like a name and a coat of arms.  Regions
can't have these, says the Star Principal Herald.

> 2) Give the "project" a fair chance to stand or fail on
> its own merits.  Promote the regional goals for all
> they're worth, but don't muddy the waters with promotion
> of principality.

Again, I am highly dubious that the regional goals can
be accomplished by a region, in the long term.  The
incentives and rewards for people taking this on aren't
there.  That's why I want a principality in the first
place.

> 3) Prove that local chapters can work together by *doing*
> it.  Establish that Regional Council that was mentioned,
> put together two or more cooperative, regional events to
> show it can be done and how well it works.  Go for broke
> and make one of them a Kingdom-level event.

You mean kingdom-sponsored?  Like a Crown Tourney?  Easily
done.  Or do you mean an event that the whole Kingdom comes
to, like a Steppes 12th Night?  I have an idea for that,
too.

> 4) Track and report the effect of the "project" on all
> local groups in the region.

Fair enough.  But while I can collect stats on population
and officer turnover in the local groups over the project
period, I'm not sure I can do more than claim that the
improvements are due to the project.

> 5) Track and report the effect of the "project" on
> membership and participation as a whole.

Ibid.

> Don't just tell me it will work - show me.  Give me
> the evidence of success with the "project" and, in
> doing so, give me solid reasons to change my mind.
>
> Fair enough?

Quite fair, my objections above notwithstanding.  So,
wanna be on the Regional Council?  I'm willing to
take this on for, say 18 months.  Are you?  We'd
need a sceptic.

> --
> Lee Martindale / Llereth Wyddffa an Myrddin / The Copper Bard
> email: lmartin at airmail.net
> http://web2.airmail.net/lmartin

Wow, we must be really good to carry on such a dispute for so
long without anybody devolving into name-calling or motive-
questioning!  I'll claim this as evidence that we _can_ work
together.

- Galen