CR - Heraldic Proposals (CR/CP)

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 30 10:57:44 PST 1998

---Paul Mitchell <pmitchel at flash.net> wrote:
> I've got a name and arms ready to go, I posted them before.
> But how did the north go about adopting their name (which,
> frankly, I loathe) and device?  A couple of people started
> using it, and it picked up?  Somebody took a poll?  What?

The "Nordsteorra" apellation has never, to my knowledge, been
formally adopted. It is one of those things that just sorta happened
along the way. It is my understanding that not everyone in North
cares for its use, while others support it as verbal short-hand. I
am not aware of any device in general use for "the North".

> I must note, that name doesn't say anything about them
> except their relationship with the rest of us; they're
> north.  I don't know of any principality or kingdom
> whose name refers to another kingdom or principality.

West, East, Middle, Outlands: all refer to geographical
relationships, although only the last of these four may have been at
some point in relation to a specific kingdom. (Paraphrasing the
argument leading to acceptance of Outlands as a kingdom name: the
Outlands are "out" of the same place that the West is west of, the
East is east of, and the Middle is in the middle of.)

"Nordsteorra" I believe is an arguable direct-name in its own right
(Northern Star, i.e. the Polestar).

> P.S.:  For those who missed it, what I posted before for a
> device and name started with noticing that no SCA kingdom
> or principality has a horse in its arms.  I've suggested
> a name like "Equerria", "Equiterria", or "Equestria",
> and arms blazoned "argent, a fess azure, overall a horse
> rampant gules, and in base, a laurel wreath vert."  I
> haven't heard any other suggestions.

I offered one name possibility (a cobbled pseudo-Germanic construct
that loosely translated as "heart of the Sable Star":
Herzschwarzsterren, or an approximation thereof). I can report
hearing some off-list comments that did not seem very enthused with
the Equus-based names OR my offering. Your original concept of using
the horse as a totem-animal makes sense to me, however, and I don't
see any reason to abandon the proposal based purely on initial

May take a sales job, however. Have you any experience in the
marketting of equine creatures, m'lord Viscount?  I know a
horse-trader or two... <gryn>

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com