CR - Name and Armory Ramblings

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 27 08:48:05 PST 1998

---"Michael F. Gunter" <mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > It has been pointed out that it would be easier to get the
> > central region to work together if we had a name and/or badge
> > to rally around.
<SNIP>
> > Is it too soon to start talking about this?  What do you think?
> > Llywelyn
> My suggestion is "El Region de O'porto"!
> The colors will be red and yellow with a purple border

"I'll register one 'Ewwwwww', please."  At least until I see hardcopy.

> fimbriated in white! Wouldn't everybody like to be a Porto?

"No. Not anytime soon." Particularly with a badge that combines
purple (*shudder*) like that.

> And we can have a motto to show the diversity of our Region:
> "Swishy, swishy, THUD! Here, have a drink."

"No thanks, I'm driving. Maybe after court."

> (Hey, nobody liked my "Centari Republic" idea either.)

I didn't dislike it, completely. Would run afoul of a couple of base
rules (obtrusive modernity, when linked with Bab5, and allowed
territorial identifiers for branches).  HOWEVER ...

Hey, Gunthar, you might have stumbled onto something there -- by
respelling, and combination with Galen's prior suggestion of
including an equine. This would introduce a cant / in-joke: use a
centaur instead of (or in addition to) a horse. OK, it's reaching a
bit: centaur-with-soft-"c" approximating the phonetics for "center".

Lessee, admittedly bad pseudo-Latinate/worse Greek descriptive for
the current territorial designator: Regio Kentaurios
("Region [of the] Horse-men").

More thoughts:
The Regional Herald's title is Eclipse. ("Hi, Borek!")
Eclipses "take out" the center of astronomical objects (visually,
anyway).
One of the Norse myths involves the Fenris-wolf [drat, don't have my
reference works at hand -- well, *a* wolf, anyway] swallowing and
then being forced to regurgitate the sun or moon at the time of
eclipses. Possibly provides an idea for the second beast-totem /
supporter?

Hmmm, anybody know the etymology for the city named Kent in England?
Another derivative of center, perhaps?

Apologies for the ramble.  I Kent help it, I'm a herald ("Heralds
don't pun, they cant").

In Service,
Amra
===
Adios -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com