CR - Central Regional Topics

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 9 08:33:33 PST 1998

---nolen dale <fairborn at swbell.net> wrote:
> Alright Here is some disturbing information and perhaps
> spme suggestions to fix this. In the last 2 nad half years the
> central region has lost 2 shires, currently I believe 1-2 more
> are endanger of burning out. All gourps have succeful events,

Yikes. I was not aware of this statistic. (I knew that one shire was
seriously discussing folding their tents currently, don't remember
hearing about prior losses.)

> but not alot of support from largers groups who will travel,
> teach, and encourage. Unlike other regions which seem
> to be growing, groups outside the dallas - Ft. Worth metroplex are
> having a much harder time.

Hmmm. Are requests being made that aren't being transmitted to the
general populace of the larger groups, or are those larger groups
also being strained by recruitment issues? (Considering the ongoing
struggle I have observed in *most* branches, regardless of active
populace or geographic population, to find qualified applicants for
local officer positions...)

> Suggestions
> A regional calendar would be an excellent idea, but would
> have problems with conflicts on the wqeekends with kingdom events.

Drat. I should have been more specific, and made clear that I was
not thinking of the weekends _quite_ so much as the meetings
*during* the week. Examples: Steppes Bardic Circle meets every 2nd
Tuesday, Calligraphers & Illuminators every 3rd Tuesday, etc.

> A floating regional fighter practice and A&S collegium every
> other month or every third month would be a great idea.

I like these ideas. I'd lead A&S discussions / teach / run support
services (again, within the limit of my means...) As I finish
rebuilding armor, expect me in other endeavors as well.

> A group of people Who Fight Chivalric and rapier, Artisans
> willing to display and teach, and hosipitaler wiling to talk.
> A group of people who would be willing to travel around the
> region to support large demos, especially those important
> demo's for smaller groups.

A regional demo team? Hmmm. Other than neglecting the heralds
(Richard, how *could* you? <gryn>), I can back this concept as well.

The "outside" team must be encouraged to avoid hogging center stage
for this to work well. Geographically-local members should be the
folk who will be quoted by the press and remembered by the community
leadership associated with the demo.

Care must also be taken to balance flashy, showy fighting with more
sedate and sometimes actually more impressive A&S materials. Also, I
think that it makes for a better, well-rounded, demonstration when
some hand-crafters are among the contingent and actively practicing
their craft (mail knitters linking rings, spinners spinning,
embroiderers driving themselves mad with colored thread, knife
sharpeners making steel "sing", or whatever).
<gratuitous humor will be curtailed for remainder of message...>

> Classes on how to hold a good demo and how to advertise the
> demo to the population base in your area(a very important tool).

YES! Yes, a *very* important concept -- SCA members actually trained
in demo presentation. (Not everyone should have to stumble through
and learn these skills the hard way, IMNSHO.)

> These are just a few suggestions. I think the floating
> regional righter practice and A&S Collegium could really work.
> Especially if it started with the smaller groups and that
> group also used it as a demo.

Building SCA confidence & confidence in dealing with the mundane
community simultaneously sounds like a winner to me.

> just a few thoughts

Appreciated

> And yes I would be the first to volunteer to travel!
> H.L. Richard Fairborn

Within the limits of my means, I'll second the motion. I'm
particularly amenable in trying to assist with requests for Scouting
and related youth groups, an area which sometimes seems to be
laughed off by all too many of the SCA folk I've known.

(mini-rant: we *need* good will from these groups, my friends. We
need access to their facilities, knowledge, and skills. We also
benefit from low-pressure recruiting from their ranks, both youth
and adult leadership. 'Sides which, it is also a hoot to watch the
eyes of Cub Scouts in the front row when you bury that rattan sword
a foot deep into a heavy, reinforced cardboard hospital saline
carton...)

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com