CR - Central Regional Topics

nolen dale fairborn at swbell.net
Thu Jan 8 20:34:59 PST 1998

Mike C. Baker wrote:

> Steppes Twelfth Night is almost upon us. Come, visit, feast & be
> amazed by the A&S displays.
>
> I'd like to throw out a few topics for potential discussion in
> advance of Twelfth Night. Might help set up some of the
> aforementioned "visits"...
>
> GUILDS / BARDIC CIRCLES / PRACTICES: communication between groups
>      Some concepts in the SCA seem to be cycle-driven, and right now
> I am seeing a renewed emphasis upon guilds and workgroups. Some
> existing groups may be slowing down, or may be highly seasonal in
> nature (hard to convince most to armor up in a rainstorm and
> 40-degree temperatures, Fahrenheit _or_ Celcius scale).
>
>      How can we encourage cross-pollination between our various
> geographic branches to better support special-interest groups?
>
> WELCOME WAGON
>     Modern society is a mobile society, and SCA members seem to
> gravitate toward some of the most mobile professions. Central
> Ansteorra is relatively compact geographically, compared to the
> kingdom as a whole. Each branch differs from the others in many ways.
>
>     How can we better cooperate in helping newcomers find the "right
> fit" in a local branch based upon both geographic residence and
> personal interests?
>
> CALENDAR SHARING
>      Each of our respective branches tends to have a full local
> calendar. Could we be better served as a region if a consolidated
> regional calendar were occasionally run in the branch newsletters?
>
> Please note: I am advancing these suggestions to help foster
> discussion of regional matters. Whether or not any of these topics
> lead to action will depend more upon those who read these words, or
> hear your presentation of these ideas, than upon my own solo
> efforts. Perhaps some of these things have been considered and
> abandoned in the past, and I don't know about those deliberations. I
> have no desire or intent to open old wounds if they exist.
>
> And I would be most happy to see the ideas of others, esp. those
> that might parallel mine or complement them, as well.
>
> IOW, I like to talk -- but I like to listen even more. Even better
> is taking the outcome of discussions and turning them into something
> lasting that benefits the Society and my friends.
>
> ===
> Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
> (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
> Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
> Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
> Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
> Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com

Alright Here is some disturbing information and perhaps spme suggestions
to fix this. In the last 2 nad half years the central region has lost 2
shires, currently I believe 1-2 more are endanger of burning out. All
gourps have succeful events, but not alot of support from largers groups
who will travel, teach, and encourage. Unlike other regions which seem
to be growing, groups outside the dallas - Ft. Worth metroplex are
having a much harder time.

Suggestions
A regional calendar would be an excellent idea, but would have problems
with conflicts on the wqeekends with kingdom events.
A floating regional fighter practice and A&S collegium every other month
or every third month would be a great idea.
A group of people Who Fight Chivalric and rapier, Artisans willing to
display and teach, and hosipitaler wiling to talk. A group of people who
would be willing to travel around the region to support large demos,
especially those important demo's for smaller groups.

Classes on how to hold a good demo and how to advertise the demo to the
population base in your area(a very important tool).
These are just a few suggestions. I think the floating regional righter
practice and A&S Collegium could really work. Especially if it started
with the smaller groups and that group also used it as a demo.

just a few thoughts
And yes I would be the first to volunteer to travel!
H.L. Richard Fairborn