CR - Central Regional Topics

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:11:17 PST 1998

Steppes Twelfth Night is almost upon us. Come, visit, feast & be
amazed by the A&S displays.

I'd like to throw out a few topics for potential discussion in
advance of Twelfth Night. Might help set up some of the
aforementioned "visits"...

GUILDS / BARDIC CIRCLES / PRACTICES: communication between groups
     Some concepts in the SCA seem to be cycle-driven, and right now
I am seeing a renewed emphasis upon guilds and workgroups. Some
existing groups may be slowing down, or may be highly seasonal in
nature (hard to convince most to armor up in a rainstorm and
40-degree temperatures, Fahrenheit _or_ Celcius scale).

     How can we encourage cross-pollination between our various
geographic branches to better support special-interest groups?

WELCOME WAGON
    Modern society is a mobile society, and SCA members seem to
gravitate toward some of the most mobile professions. Central
Ansteorra is relatively compact geographically, compared to the
kingdom as a whole. Each branch differs from the others in many ways.

    How can we better cooperate in helping newcomers find the "right
fit" in a local branch based upon both geographic residence and
personal interests?

CALENDAR SHARING
     Each of our respective branches tends to have a full local
calendar. Could we be better served as a region if a consolidated
regional calendar were occasionally run in the branch newsletters?

Please note: I am advancing these suggestions to help foster
discussion of regional matters. Whether or not any of these topics
lead to action will depend more upon those who read these words, or
hear your presentation of these ideas, than upon my own solo
efforts. Perhaps some of these things have been considered and
abandoned in the past, and I don't know about those deliberations. I
have no desire or intent to open old wounds if they exist.

And I would be most happy to see the ideas of others, esp. those
that might parallel mine or complement them, as well.

IOW, I like to talk -- but I like to listen even more. Even better
is taking the outcome of discussions and turning them into something
lasting that benefits the Society and my friends.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com