CR - Central Principality

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 16 09:09:32 PST 1998

Galen has addressed Llereth's request for plus&minus considerations
of the proposed push for principality status extensively. Allow me
to add a few additional observations (primarily on the minus side of
the ledger, due to the completeness of Galen's positive
arguments...or observations concerning Galen's positives)

---Paul Mitchell <pmitchel at flash.net> wrote:
> Galen replies...
> Lee Martindale wrote:
> > I ask because there's a definite feeling of "runaway horse"
> > in this thread.  I think having more of a handle on the
> > practicalities would go a long way toward quelling the natural
> > inclination to dig in my wheels against overenthusiasm.
> Please don't be afraid of that.  So far this is no more significant
> than any other internet dicussion.  Which is to say not very.  A
> couple of us, mainly Amra and I, have traded notes about how, why,
> and whether, but the time to oppose this idea won't pass for months
> to come, if it gets pushed forward.  You will not wake up next week,
> nor even next month, and find that --poof!-- you're living in a
> principality and it's too late to do anything about it.

Considering the depth of past emotions related to the prior
discussions of future principalities forming within Ansteorra,
Llereth's apprehension has reason to exist.  My housemate's concerns
are not always mine, but I believe that we are in this discussion
both concerned about issues of TIMING.

Yes, the on-line discussion so far has taken off rapidly. An
upcoming event gives the opportunity to broaden the discussion, draw
in those not yet involved in this mailing list, and anchor things in
a bit more reality.  And *that* will certainly help keep matters in
proper perspective.

(Galen, I'm re-formatting more than usual in your list of points due
to otherwise ugly quoting on the part of my mailreader, not in order
to change the style.)

> Central Region Principality pros & cons as I see them,
> in no particular order, by Galen:
> PROs:
> 1.  It would be fun.
> 2.  We'd get to do new stuff with new heraldry, create new
> traditions, write new ceremonies, and make new regalia.
> 3.  We'd have a bunch of new nobility as we make new Viscounts and
> Viscountesses to recognize our former rulers.
> 4.  More people would have opportunities to serve; in principality
> office, as entourage, and in many other roles, ceremonial and
> otherwise.
> 5.  Being a principality officer would be more prestigious and
> rewarding than being a regional officer; I think more people would
> want to do it.
> 6.  New awards to create, and then earn.  (Admit it; SCA awards are
> fun.)

Not everyone is convinced of this, particularly when they aren't
being given in a fashion perceived to be "timely". Yep, highly
inflammatory area of discussion which belongs in other forums -- but
which might actually strengthen this point, as the *intent* would
typically be assumed to drive the barriers down somewhat, making
recognition more often and more localized in the earlier stages of
an SCA "career".

> 7.  In addition to new opportunity to excel as a fighter,
> we'd probably have Principality bardic and A&S competitions.

Quibble: *definitely* have competitive and cooperative opportunities
on a more regular basis at a more local level than that of Kingdom,
but exceeding that of local branches.

> 8.  The principality army marching under the black star and its own
> banner onto the field at Gulf Wars.  And Pennsic.  A Prince would be
> much more effective in pulling together an army than a regional
> warlord.

Somewhat sadly agreed.

> 9.  It would be a lot of work.  For those of us who enjoy work,
> that's a good thing.
> 10.  It would focus more attention on the small groups of the
> region, giving them the chance to host Coronet Tournies,
> Investitures, A&S/Bardic events, and whatever other principality
> events get held.

This would be a very good thing IF it did not lead to burnout of
more locals and/or groups. Considering recent developments, I am
concerned that as a kingdom we may have been putting too much strain
on some smaller branches. (No, I don't have a complete answer to
satisfy the needs / issues related.)
<anecdotal snipped>

> 11.  If we have a principality newsletter (and a newsletter would be
> more easily done, I think, as a principality than as a region), that
> would likewise help to foster more interaction within the area.

Principality newsletters require separate subscription fees (or
subsidization), and sources of material. With our current local
newsletters often reduced to begging for additional articles in
order to fill their pages, will a principality newsletter be able to
build circulation, contributors, and identity -- or will it be
reduced to the level of a broadsheet distributed at Coronet and
Investiture (a practice I understand is / was common among some
existing principalities in the West).

> 12.  Easier to get royal attention from Prince & Princess than from
> King & Queen.

"Hoobah, more brass hats to mess around with."

> CONs
> 1.  It would be a lot of work.  For those of us who don't like work,
> that's a bad thing.
> 2.  It would clutter up the Kingdom Calendar with more events, and
> re-focus a lot of attention that now other groups outside the region
> enjoy, onto groups within our area.  (i.e.:  we'd travel less to
> outside events)

2A. We would be seen as selfish/disruptive by other portions of
Ansteorra, particularly those parts without their own principality
events to compete.

Side note for future planning: it could be nice if, in the case of
multiple Principalities, were a stock set of dates on Kingdom
Calendar established for Principality events -- setting them to
avoid already sacrosact scheduling will be a small nightmare of
diplomacy, but all change comes at a price.

> 3.  Harder to get attention from King & Queen.

This isn't always a bad thing... and, under a Princedom, you might
have some high-caliber support on your side when you *are* noticed...

> 4.  More people thinking they can tell people what to do.

As if Ansteorrans will listen and obey automatically anyway? So, the
hot-air factor goes up by a couple of levels. So does the tin-ear
complementary reaction.

> That's all I can think of.
> - Galen of Bristol

I think you hit all the best, and the ugliest of the worst.

(BTW, folks, a reminder: I *am* actually in favor of principalities
within the umbrella of Ansteorra. I'd personally prefer the process
to be inclusive, and liked some of the points about probable future
geography and expectations raised the last time the issue was
broadly discussed -- on-line, via the Kingdom mail list, and off-)

Amra, opinionated (as usual)
===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com