CR - Reasons

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Wed Jan 28 17:58:16 PST 1998

---Vicki Marsh <zarazina at flash.net> wrote:
> Greetings, from Zara Zina
> I want to thank Gunther, Galen, Amra,and Richard for their
> logic and honesty in this matter.

What, who, *me*? Recognized as logical and honest in the same breath?

My parents must have done *something* right, then, and will be
amazed to hear my words described as both...

<yes, there's a GRYN or two here!>

> While traveling around our region and realizing how truly large
> it is, I was struck by the fact that there are so many people
> who are in the SCA here and just how much bigger we could grow.
> We have people in Elfsea who drive over an hour to attend
> meetings here.  If the infrastructure was stronger, there would
> be more impetus to build more small groups around the
> metro-plex.  As it stands, I feel we are reaching our limit
> for growth as a Region.

Geographically, Central Region is not that much larger (if at all)
than Northern Region. In terms of bulk population, C.R. has more,
and more centralized. In terms of *current* SCA membership I believe
we are also comparable. I'd be interested in learning how membership
numbers (paid or total) have changed in the last several years.
Based upon my personal experiences, I suspect that the Steppes has
held about steady in total -- primarily by transfers in and out of
the area.

More small SCA branches might be a useful consideration later in the
growth process, but I am of the firm opinion that the Society would
be better served by strenghthening the ones we already have *first*.
Sub-dividing for the sake of creating more branches, without an
expectation of total growth in population of the Region, would be
counter-productive.

A very valid point raised in the session last Saturday was that the
SCA is competing for people's entertainment attention with many
other (often similar) outlets these days. A few organizations or
activities were named specifically, others covered by omnibus
description. This competition is one of the more serious "limit for
growth" concerns we must face squarely and deal with.

At the root of total growth remain the dual questions of recruitment
and retention, and more branches won't necessarily improve either.

> Yes, most people want to be a Big Fish in a Small Pond. That is
> one of the aspects that the SCA has going for it.  So when a
> group reaches it's maximum size, either a new group is formed
> or the population dies off.

I agree with the first (on any given day, any fighter seriously
competing to become King has a reasonable chance to do so; any SCA
peer will have solid reasons for enjoying the fruits of their
labors; any member at any level knows that their voice can be
recognized when it is raised).

Maximum group size is another matter entirely. I don't believe that
there is such a quantifiable thing, personally. Some SCA branches
choose to subdivide early and often, others appear to keep going
within the confines of a single branch just fine. Continual
readjustments within that single large branch may continue at a
rapid pace, however. Formation of *informal* sub-groups such as
households or guilds, and the subsequent dynamics within and between
those sub-groups, may lead even a very large branch to remain strong
in and of itself.

> You guys talk logic.  I can tell you how I feel. It is as if
> our community/region/Kingdom is pregnant woman walking around
> in her last stages and if she doesn't give birth soon, someone
> will die.

An interesting analogy. I'll make the counter observation that this
current discussion may be more like false labor...

> I like the idea of a Central Regional Principality because:
<various snippage>

> Do they yell "Vivat Central Region!!"?

::mock horror:: I should certainly hope not! Amongst other things,
this would be confusing (there are Central Regions in other SCA
kingdoms).

> 2- It would give a training ground for Kingdom Offices that
> have a better title, more responsibility, and more accountability.

Errr, reluctantly agreed. The current regional officers across the
Kingdom may or may not be seeking to ever step into their
Kingdom-level superiors footwear, but I've always gotten the
impression that they are ultimately being groomed / trained for that
possibility.

> And most Kingdom officers are only too glad to have a warm body
> in the office.

Therein lies a substantial current problem that it is conceivable
not even Principality status could alleviate.

> I never heard of a required meeting of the regional officers
> occuring in either the South or the Central when I worked at
> regional level.

I have heard of such a thing, and know of at least one resignation
which came in part from such a requirement being made only after the
regional had been in place for some time.

> 3-It would give a training ground for the Crown. While I like
> the idea of having someone new to be our Crown, sometimes it
> can be pretty scary when they are a little too green.

C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la morte.

The safeguards have improved at the level of Ansteorran Crown. We
might not be able to so readily deal with problem children the first
time as a Principality.

> 4- It would take a little of the workload off the territorial
> B & B's. Yes, that is probably the closest thing to a *motive*
> that I have.

Not a bad one, either. Landed B/B in Ansteorran get worked fairly
hard  as it is, and deserve some time for fun, too.

> Because I have been in a small group, I understand just how
> special it is to have the Royals or the territorial's attend
> our events.

I also come from a small-branch background, but those experiences
were also tempered by having the Crown almost in our back yard
during the formative stages. The presence of a "hat" can certainly
add to the experience for younger/newer members -- does it *really*
make that much difference in retaining older/more experienced
participants?

> And yes, there would come a time when someone took the Coronet
> list that was a jerk, or too inexperienced to deal with it...but
> so what?  That has happened to our Kingdom in the past and we
> seem to have survived.

We have survived. Yet I always wonder how much stronger we might be
as a Kingdom, and in the various local branches, if we'd been left
with more energy to put into positive cooperative efforts.

> 5-I don't think there would be more events on the calender,
> nor more required paperwork.  It would just be done differently
> and hopefully, there would be more accountability.

Minimum of two additional events per year, based upon limiting
Coronet reigns to a six month term of office and doing Coronet
Investiture as part of Coronet Tourney weekend (or replacing /
combining Principality functions into existing events). Plus more
"required" time added into existing events...

> 6-Yes, we would have more heraldry and more scrolls. If the
> groups are growing and people are being trained to do the
> jobs that they enjoy and find rewarding, where is the problem
> there?

Burn out, over-commitment, and lack of *useful* training /
deliberate preparation of deputies for the future.

> In watching the patterns of community growth and decline in
> my 20 years in the SCA, I find that just like any other social
> organization or pack or rats in an experiment, there comes a
> time when we must plan for growth.  If we do not, factionalism
> (and cannibalism) will occur, and it won't be a pretty sight.

This is the SCA. The factionalism is already there, and must be
dealt with on an ongoing basis. People with differing interests and
"styles" cannot help but form factions.

The "cannibalism" may already be manifesting itself in several ways.
"Old Tired Peer Syndrome" can be one of the more destructive; it is
our good fortune that of late more seem to be slipping quietly away
rather than causing a major fuss...

> Yes, each and every group and individual can work harder to
> make the existing structure survive, but how long will that last?

It won't. Because, through the sheer act of survival, the existing
structure will change. Often, and sometimes in unplanned ways...

> Although I have other arguments, I have ranted long enough.

It is usually a good thing to know when to stop. At some future
time, perhaps you will be willing to share those "other" arguments.

> In Service,
> Baroness Zara Zina Theanos

You grant us grace by your words, Your Excellency. Thank you for
adding to this discussion.

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com