CR - Prerequisites To Principality

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 30 09:04:04 PST 1998

Galen, I'm going to quibble a point here. Bear with me, this one
should be shorter & more direct than most of my recent point-making...

---Paul Mitchell <pmitchel at flash.net> wrote:
> Galen again...
> Lee Martindale wrote:
> > 1) A "project period" of between one and two years, with
> > the "project" being the facilitation of regional identity
> > and the aforementioned cooperation and coordination.
> Possible, but this is harder to do in a regional framework.
> That "regional identity" this has practical aspects, as well
> as symbolic ones, like a name and a coat of arms.  Regions
> can't have these, says the Star Principal Herald.

<snap of fingers> *That* for any such pronouncement by Star.
We might not be allowed to _register_ a name & heraldry with the SCA
College of Arms. There is nothing in Star's granted powers that
keeps us from establishing an alternate nomenclature for any
mutually consensual group within the SCA (so long as it does not
conflict with prior established usage, and even some types of
conflict should be expected to go unremarked upon until any attempt
at registration).

Actually, name & heraldry _could_ even be registered -- either by an
individual (as a "household") or by an existing branch (using the
same mechanism as a guild or order). In the event of future
promotion, letters of transfer would need to be arranged...

In fact, in support of the concept of existence-by-usage I will cite
again the case of out Northern neighbors. While official
announcements and publicity may state "Northern Region of
Ansteorra", who in this Kingdom, or most of the Known World, does
not by now recognize "Nordsteorra" as referring to the same geography?

More detail than I'd originally planned...

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com