CR - Name and Armory Ramblings

Terry Harper terryharper at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:34:02 PST 1998

>I do have a problem with a wolf as a supporter. Two problems actually.
>The first is that in the Middle Ages wolves were ranked right up there
>with the way we consider Pit Bulls. Their ferocity is respected but
they
>were mainly feared and loathed by the general populace.

Reginlief here,

   I usually just lurk on this list, but I just have to speak up about
this!

   Wolves were no more feared in a Heraldry sense than most of the other
animal figures used as supporters.  Don't you think that the general
populace was afraid of lions?  Or Elephants?  Or Griffins, if they
actually say one?

   Below is a SMALL example of "wolf" used in common naming practices.
Iceland - Ulfar, Ornulfur, Ulfur

Old English (Saxon - 15-16th c.) - Eddols; prosperity wolf
                                   Stidolph; hard-wolf

Saxon - 9th & 10th c. - Bertulf, Adulf, Aethelulf, Aethelwulf, Aldwulf,
Arnulf, Badulf, Baldwulf, Beorhtwulf

Old Norse - Thorulffr, Ulf, Ulfar, Ulffr, Ulfetill, Ulfkil, Ulfljot,
Ulfr, Iulfr, Ingulfr, Hrodwulfr, Hrodulfr, Herulf, Eyjolf, Botulfr,
Blotulffr, Bironulf, Athulf, Storolf, Steinolf, Snae-Ulf, Runolf,
Ordulf, Nannulf

     I find it difficult to believe that all these names existed for a
group of people who were repulsed by wolves.  Also, if they would use
such an animal in a name, why not on armory?  I don't have my references
for period heraldry with my here at work, but I'll be glad to research
the use of wolves in heraldry to back this up.

>The other is that in the Society wolves have been done to death. It
seems that
>anybody who thinks they are a rebel adopts some sort of wolf symbol. I
>understand the reasoning of the Fenris wolf but let's please not fall
into
>that trap.
   Exactly what "trap" is that?  A wolf is a symbol of fierceness in
battle, of freedom.  I don't believe that wolves have been anymore "done
to death"  than griffins, lions, bears, unicorns, etc.

   Please forgive me if I've offended, I don't mean to.

   See what happens when you talk bad about wolves?!?!

   Proud member of House WOLFstar!

   Mistress Reginlief Ragnarsdottir