CR - Re: SR - Bjornsborg floods

Joe Bramblett joebramblett at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 12:01:42 PDT 1998

---CADET1313 at aol.com wrote:

> Yes, we were trapped in the site for approximately 8
> hours, but every one is fine.

Amazing event parallelism here...Amtgard had a midreign near Corsicana
in what has now been declared a disaster area. 119 people were trapped
in that site far about 10 hours.

> We cooked up the portions of the feast that
> couldn't be saved, so even though we were wet
> and cold, we weren't hungry!!

We had exactly the same idea for the first meal. Probably not the best
course, since we could've been stuck a lot longer, but it worked fine
for then.

>Contrary to reports, we were not rescued by the
> National Guard, we just waited for the water to
> recede.

We had to hike out a little over a mile down a flooded road to get to
where the NG and the other services had decided they should stop.
(Somebody had gotten a bulldozer stuck there, so they thought it was
worse than it really was) Apparently, the reason we were finally given
emergency status was that we were in the center of a new tornado and
flood watch area.

> For those who don't know what's going on, Bexar
> county and several surrounding counties recieved
> between 15 and 23 inches of rain in a 24 hour
> period, flooding most of the rivers, creeks, lakes
> and dams in the area.

Don't know the stats for Navarro county, but we were right under where
one of the tornadoes went, and it dumped a lot of the upwind lake on us.

>There has been massive destruction.  Fortunately,
> as far as I know, everyone here is fine.

All the Amtgarders were evac'd safely to 80 rooms at the Ramada Inn,
where local businesses fed us and fed us and fed us and fed us.
(Apparently, since the only injuries were somewhat minor cuts and
sprains from slogging through water, fallen limbs, and mud, they
couldn't find anything to do but dry us up and feed us. I like that
kind of business.)

> Thanks to everyone who pitched in while we were
> stuck, and to those who came out to see if we were
> ok

We're waiting for the list of businesses and charities that helped
that night, but I suspect there'll be a few more volunteers and
donations from Amtgard in the near future.

Now Amtgard's just pondering what kind of awards to give for surviving
a natural disaster.

JB