CR - Heraldry Question

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Jan 8 08:48:47 PST 1999

Amra wrote:
<<"close" is default for heraldic owls, and most other
birds except eagles & martlets.>>

I think "close" is default for martlets.  Swans are rousant by mundane
default.  Yes, I know -- pict, pict, pict.  (Sorry, everyone; inside
heraldic pun.)

I should note that bird type and posture were very closely related in
period.  In general, if the bird is displayed (like the back of US
quarters before 1999) then it was called an eagle, and an eagle had
its wings displayed.  Hawks were known because they were close, facing
dexter, and usually had hood and jesses.  Therefore, I strongly
advocate the default owl, eagle, hawk, et cetera, when you want
something avian.

By the way: according to Table 4, "Conventional SCA Default Postures",
of the SCA College of Arms Glossary of Terms, the default posture of
an owl is "close guardant", so the body should be turned to face
dexter (the viewer's left).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;