[Central] SCA wanted for a Library Exhibit

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Wed May 18 08:13:12 PDT 2005

Greetings unto the Central Region,

Approximately a year and a half ago during my term as the Central Region
Hospitaler I was contacted by Elizabeth McMahon the PR/Outreach Librarian
for the Grand Prairie Public Library. At that time the library was putting
in a bid to be a host for a traveling exhibit on Queen Elizabeth I.

The exhibit will be at the library between June 25 and August 5th of this
year. As this will be part of their summer program. they would very much
like the participation of the SCA during the run of the exhibit. Some of the
ideas that they had were an outdoor combat demo for youth and teens (and
probably some parents), and some hands-on indoor craft demos such as
calligraphy and embroidery for both youth and adults. I am sure that other
ideas for demos would be given serious consideration.

The Grand Prairie Library is one of 40 in the U.S. (and only one of two in
Texas) who will host this exhibit.
They will be holding an opening reception on June 25th and have wondered if
it would be possible to have some sort of dancing and dance instruction that
day. I realize that this is also the date of Lindenwood's Masked Ball but
this would be a good way for the dancers to get warmed up for the ball.

They would also like other demonstration/classes throughout the run of the
exhibit. Some of the ideas that have been brought up to me have been lucet
weaving,  various other fiber arts, bone carving, and of course combat
demos. If you are interested in helping in any way please contact me with
what dates you would be free to assist.

For more info on the exhibit itself and to see what else the library has
scheduled during the exhibit you can go to
http://www.gptx.org/library/ElizabethI.aspx

Thank you for your time

Domhnall Dubh O'Ruairc