CR - Static A&S Symbol

marsha.greene@mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Wed May 12 08:14:59 PDT 1999

Charles, you are partly correct... in the old days Arts and Sciences were
considered two separate activities.  The symbol for arts was the lit candle
in a castle window (essentially an arch created by brick forms) and the
symbol for sciences was a tool called a caliper... sort of like a compass
we used in school to create a circle.    When the two activities became
combined into one,... the Arts and Sciences device merged to become a half
of each of the other two devices, essentially, put half of the candle image
with half of the calaper image in a circle badge.

I don't know if I recall the correct colors.  I think the calaper was
silver on a purple background, and the candle was silver on a black.. but
cannot be sure.  I would suspect both badges are registered as an SCA
corporated device, so you might be able to find them online or in heralds
files.

Mairi, if you wanted to create a Loch symbol, you could probably use the
serpent toiled with the candle lit inside the circle shape created by the
serpent (or use the calapers).    And you could do the same with the bard.
Put the harp within the serpent circle, as well as the crossed swords.
For the A&S, I would probably just pick the single symbol of the lit
candle.     If you need me to fax you a design, call me.      Hillary G.

If I am not mistaken, the traditional symbol for A&S is the candle in the
castle window.  I have seen this used several places as a badge for static
A&S, as the performing arts have as their symbol a harp.  I am sure this
symbol can be found in just about any official A&S publication.  If you
can't find it, there is a small version of the badge on the ATYC web page
marking the link for static A&S competitions.