CR - Senechal Positions opening

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue May 18 04:43:24 PDT 1999

Steafanmac at aol.com (Steafanmac at aol.com) said something that sounded like:
> It concerns me just as greatly that this decision may come down to the one
> applicant.  I believe that offices, especially that of the seneschal, should
> have a selection of applicants.

I know this was supposed to be private, but I thought I'd talk a little
about it.

Many offices in the SCA, at least at the local level, end up having only
one applicant. This ends up occuring for many reasons.

First, once someone has applied, others feel there is no need any more
since the job will get done.

Second, people always assume that there is someone else more fit for the
job than themself. Unfortunately this is not always true.

Third, many of these jobs, although required, are not very enjoyable to
many people. There are those sick individuals who enjoy it though. *grin*

What you have to do is to get people over these three issues. I'm still
trying to figure out how to do it on a group level. It's fairly easy to
do on an individual level.

This unfortunately is not a new phenomenoa (sp?) as I've seen it
repeatedly in the brief 10 years I've been in the SCA.

Ciao,