CR - UH Fighter Group

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Wed May 19 08:53:48 PDT 1999

Meliora,

I have to concur with Ihon.  I know for certain that SCA cannot be part of
the 'name' of the Univ. Org.  SCA cannot be used because it's not an
official SCA group.  If and when a student group with a viable population
is achieved, then the "SCA Inc. -- College of Twr Cath" student org. could
be reactivated in incipiency.  Until then, it is just an interest group
which plays by SCA rules.  (The Baronies will need to make sure that the
practices are officially announced so that they will be covered under SCA
insurance.)

As to the affiliations, I also have to agree that it may be better to make
the association to SCA narrower (ie. associate with the local Baronies
rather than SCA, Inc.).

I was wondering if it would be better to call the group 'Medieval and
Renaissance Recreation Interest Group at UH".  I think I remember seeing a
posting about something (non-fighter) being moved to Tues. nights wherever
the fighter practice is being held (unless a kitchen is needed).  'Article
II -- Purpose' may need to be expanded in order to encompass this activity
as well.

Question --- Has the University given you any idea of the time lag between
you turning in the paperwork and when the group will be officially
registered and able to reserve rooms, act officially on campus, etc.?  (Is
it once the paperwork is in it's ok, or do you need to wait until you get a
response (a few days, a week, 2 weeks)?)

~Adela

At 06:07 AM 5/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I hate being the bearer of possible bad tidings, but I don't think the SCA
would approve of its name being used in an document of an official
organization not organized under the bylaws of the SCA, Inc.  Specifically:
"Constitution for the Society for Creative Anachronism Medieval Fighters
Interest Group" and "Article I-Name Section 1 The name of this organization
shall be the Society for Creative Anachronism – Medieval Fighters Interest
Group"

>An associated but even more difficult issue is presented by "Section 1
This organization is affiliated with The Society for Creative Anachronism,
Inc., a national non-profit organization."

>With regard to the latter issue, in previous emails (not your personally,
Meliora, but according to the tenor of the emails I have seen) the intent
of the fighters group is specifically _not_ to affiliate with the SCA,
_Inc._  While most if not all the participants will have a connection with
the SCA -- members, non dues paying players -- no one thus far has stepped
forward to complete the connection with the SCA, Inc.  It is my opinion
that that connection can only be accomplished by being a branch group --
the meaning of the noun form of "affiliate."  Please don't respond to this,
folks, with a semantic argument about "affiliate."  It doesn't change the
fact that the representation being made to the University is that the
Fighters group is in close association with the Corporation, which under
the bylaws of the corporation it most definitely is not.

>The former issue, i.e. the use of the name Society for Creative
Anachronism, is simply misleading.  Basically it gives the appearance of
being part _of_ the Society when the intent of the group is not to be
responsible _to_ the Society.

>Can this be rectified?  Possibly.
>A possible solution is to call the interest group something like: The
Greater Lochravensgate Medieval Fighters Interest Group in the title and
article one, then change Section I to read: "The organization is
constituted of members from the Baronies of Loch Soillier, Ravensfort and
Stargate [or whatever is appropriate -- ivm], branch groups of the Society
of Creative Anachronism, Inc., a non-profit organization."  The University
might want the language tightened up -- their interest is probably to whom
are you answerable, but I think it would satisfy the SCA because the
corporation would then look to the Baronies to oversee the group -- which I
trust the group _does_ intend.