CR - UH Fighter Group

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Wed May 19 10:01:29 PDT 1999

At 10:51 AM 5/19/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Forgive me, Ihon, but if Meliora is using the constitution *previously*
approved
>by both the University and the SCA, why would there be a problem with it
*now*?

The constitution which was previously used was for an official SCA group
--- ie. it had the officer structure that SCA requires and it was covered
by SCA insurance in and of itself.

>I think this boils down to a simple misunderstanding, i.e. I believe you
have it
>backwards as to whether the fighter group is, or is not, to be affiliated
with
>the SCA, Inc. (see below)

[snip]
>This fighter practice *is* the "official" fighter practice of the near
Baronies
>of the Coastal Region; i.e., Loch Soillier and Stargate. (Ravensfort,
being in
>the Southern region, is not in the equation.) Obviously, any fighter who
wants
>to come join the fun is welcome, be they from Bordermarch, Stone Bridge
Keep, or
>Ravensfort. But this is *primarily* and *fundamentally* the official Baronial
>practices for Loch and Stargate. I.e., it *is* associated/affiliated/attached
>(whatever word you want to use) to those two SCA branches. The knight
marshals
>of both Baronies have announced such at Populace and in the Baronial
newsletters.

And because of that announcement, the practices will be covered under SCA
insurance.  But, as far as the University will be concerned, you are there
as the guests of student org.

As far as the SCA is concerned, it'll be the Baronial practice because it
has been announced as such.  But as far as the University is concerned,
it'll be the practice of the student org. because they are the ones who are
registed on campus.

>We've held combined practices the past 3 weeks: twice in Sir Alexis' back
yard
>and once at my neighborhood's park, but these are just interim locations
while
>we look for a "permanent" home for the combined practice, preferably on a
>University campus.
>
>Our current mission is just to get official permission from the U of H
>administration for us to hold the combined Baronial practice on their campus.
>The "vehicle" for getting that permission is to register a student
organization
>which sponsors the activity. This student organization, therefore, is a
"front"
>for the Baronies of Stargate and the Loch. I feel that whatever paperwork we
>file with the University should reflect that fact.

That's why I think that the affiliation should be made on the local (ie.
Baronial) level.  The student group isn't covered by SCA insurance.  But
the activities of the group are co-sponsored by the Baronies, which are
covered by SCA insurance.

>As an aside: one of the hoped-for outcomes of this practice is a growth in
>students who join our activities. Eventually, this number of students may
reach
>a "critical mass" of people who want their own on-campus SCA body. At this
time,
>the College of Twr Cath could be re-activated for that purpose. The
members of
>Twr Cath would also obviously be welcome at the practice. But it would
continue
>to be the combined Stargate/Loch official *Baronial* practice as far as
anyone
>would be concerned, and would continue to be registered with the
University as a
>seperate (even if obviously related) student organization.

I don't know if the University will permit this (or if even the Kingdom
will permit this).  It may be that they will permit only one student org.
with any SCA affiliation.  If that's the case, then Twr Cath would
supercede the interest group.  The practices at the University would
continue, but they would be joint Loch, Stargate, and Twr Cath practices
(with 3 marshals instead of 2 present).

If Twr Cath enters dormancy again, then the interest group would have to be
reactivated.....and the practices could continue under Loch and Stargate.

=====
The whole of this is that University politics are different from SCA
politics.  Yes, the SCA may view this as an official Baronial practice.
But the University doesn't give a twit about the Barony.  The University is
only concerned about the student org.

So everything has to be looked at from two very different perspectives.
What may seem reasonable from the SCA point of view, may be unacceptable to
the University....and vice versa.  We're walking a fairly thin line of
agreement here.

~Adela