CR - UH Fighter Group

John F. Hirling macfergus at unidial.com
Wed May 19 09:35:33 PDT 1999

Michael Tucker wrote:

> Forgive me, Ihon, but if Meliora is using the constitution *previously* approved
> by both the University and the SCA, why would there be a problem with it *now*?

Because Twr Cath  _was_ an official affiliate of the SCA, Inc.

> I think this boils down to a simple misunderstanding, i.e. I believe you have it
> backwards as to whether the fighter group is, or is not, to be affiliated with
> the SCA, Inc. (snip)
> This fighter practice *is* the "official" fighter practice of the near Baronies
> of the Coastal Region; i.e., Loch Soillier and Stargate. (Ravensfort, being in
> the Southern region, is not in the equation.) Obviously, any fighter who wants
> to come join the fun is welcome, be they from Bordermarch, Stone Bridge Keep, or
> Ravensfort. But this is *primarily* and *fundamentally* the official Baronial
> practices for Loch and Stargate. I.e., it *is* associated/affiliated/attached
> (whatever word you want to use) to those two SCA branches. The knight marshals
> of both Baronies have announced such at Populace and in the Baronial newsletters.

> Our current mission is just to get official permission from the U of H
> administration for us to hold the combined Baronial practice on their campus.
> The "vehicle" for getting that permission is to register a student organization
> which sponsors the activity. This student organization, therefore, is a "front"
> for the Baronies of Stargate and the Loch. I feel that whatever paperwork we
> file with the University should reflect that fact.
> <snip>

> Michael
> (Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate)

We are, I believe, in basic agreement.  The problem arises from the inference of a
_direct association_ with the Corporation.  In my opinion, as long as the document
makes the fighter group answerable to the baronies (as they are) and the baronies
answerable to the Corporation (as they are), there shouldn't be a problem from the
Society's stand point (but see Adela's email).
--ihon

hl ihon vinson macfergus, Seneschal of the Stargate.