CR - UH Fighter Group

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Wed May 19 08:51:30 PDT 1999

Greetings, all, but especially HL Ihon:

This morning "John F. Hirling" (HL Ihon) wrote:

> Dawn Freeman wrote something like:
>
> > For you informational benefit, I am providing a copy of the constitution I
> > am prepared to submit to UH to establish this 'organization' in order that
> > we may host our fighter practices there.  [snip]
> >
> > Lady Meliora Rhydderch
> > [snip]
>
> I hate being the bearer of possible bad tidings, but I don't think the SCA
> would approve of its name being used in an document of an official
> organization not organized under the bylaws of the SCA, Inc.  [snip]
>
> With regard to the latter issue, in previous emails (not your personally,
> Meliora, but according to the tenor of the emails I have seen) the intent of
> the fighters group is specifically _not_ to affiliate with the SCA, _Inc._
> [snip]

Forgive me, Ihon, but if Meliora is using the constitution *previously* approved
by both the University and the SCA, why would there be a problem with it *now*?

I think this boils down to a simple misunderstanding, i.e. I believe you have it
backwards as to whether the fighter group is, or is not, to be affiliated with
the SCA, Inc. (see below)

> [snip]
> then change Section I to read: "The organization is constituted of members
> from the Baronies of Loch Soillier, Ravensfort and Stargate [or whatever is
> appropriate -- ivm], branch groups of the Society of Creative Anachronism,
> Inc., a non-profit organization."  The University might want the language
> tightened up -- their interest is probably to whom are you answerable, but I
> think it would satisfy the SCA because the corporation would then look to the
> Baronies to oversee the group -- which I trust the group _does_ intend.
>
> I'm copying this email to my upline for her input.
> --
> ihon

This fighter practice *is* the "official" fighter practice of the near Baronies
of the Coastal Region; i.e., Loch Soillier and Stargate. (Ravensfort, being in
the Southern region, is not in the equation.) Obviously, any fighter who wants
to come join the fun is welcome, be they from Bordermarch, Stone Bridge Keep, or
Ravensfort. But this is *primarily* and *fundamentally* the official Baronial
practices for Loch and Stargate. I.e., it *is* associated/affiliated/attached
(whatever word you want to use) to those two SCA branches. The knight marshals
of both Baronies have announced such at Populace and in the Baronial newsletters.

We've held combined practices the past 3 weeks: twice in Sir Alexis' back yard
and once at my neighborhood's park, but these are just interim locations while
we look for a "permanent" home for the combined practice, preferably on a
University campus.

Our current mission is just to get official permission from the U of H
administration for us to hold the combined Baronial practice on their campus.
The "vehicle" for getting that permission is to register a student organization
which sponsors the activity. This student organization, therefore, is a "front"
for the Baronies of Stargate and the Loch. I feel that whatever paperwork we
file with the University should reflect that fact.

As an aside: one of the hoped-for outcomes of this practice is a growth in
students who join our activities. Eventually, this number of students may reach
a "critical mass" of people who want their own on-campus SCA body. At this time,
the College of Twr Cath could be re-activated for that purpose. The members of
Twr Cath would also obviously be welcome at the practice. But it would continue
to be the combined Stargate/Loch official *Baronial* practice as far as anyone
would be concerned, and would continue to be registered with the University as a
seperate (even if obviously related) student organization.

I hope I've helped to clarify this matter. I know that in the past some of my
words have served only to further muddy the waters... Hopefully, in this post,
I've managed to avoid that. :-)

For her reference, I have copied this post to Lady Beatrix as well.

Michael
(Michael Silverhands, Baron of Stargate)

--
It's the action, not the fruit of the action that's important.  You have
to do the right thing...  You may never know what results come from your