CR - UH Fighter Group

John F. Hirling macfergus at unidial.com
Wed May 19 04:07:52 PDT 1999

Dawn Freeman wrote something like:

> For you informational benefit, I am providing a copy of the constitution I
> am prepared to submit to UH to establish this 'organization' in order that
> we may host our fighter practices there.  This constitution made sound very
> familiar to some... I took Twr Cath's old constitution and made appropriate
> adjustments to separate it from the SCA 'College' but still meet the
> requirements of the University.
>
> Feel free to read it and give any commentary you wish.
>
> Lady Meliora Rhydderch
> Squire to Graf Galen Kirchenbauer
> Baronial Reeve
> Barony of Loch Soilleir
> Ansteorra

I hate being the bearer of possible bad tidings, but I don't think the SCA
would approve of its name being used in an document of an official organization
not organized under the bylaws of the SCA, Inc.  Specifically: "Constitution
for the Society for Creative Anachronism Medieval Fighters Interest Group" and
"Article I-Name Section 1 The name of this organization shall be the Society
for Creative Anachronism – Medieval Fighters Interest Group"

An associated but even more difficult issue is presented by "Section 1 This
organization is affiliated with The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., a
national non-profit organization."

With regard to the latter issue, in previous emails (not your personally,
Meliora, but according to the tenor of the emails I have seen) the intent of
the fighters group is specifically _not_ to affiliate with the SCA, _Inc._
While most if not all the participants will have a connection with the SCA --
members, non dues paying players -- no one thus far has stepped forward to
complete the connection with the SCA, Inc.  It is my opinion that that
connection can only be accomplished by being a branch group -- the meaning of
the noun form of "affiliate."  Please don't respond to this, folks, with a
semantic argument about "affiliate."  It doesn't change the fact that the
representation being made to the University is that the Fighters group is in
close association with the Corporation, which under the bylaws of the
corporation it most definitely is not.

The former issue, i.e. the use of the name Society for Creative Anachronism, is
simply misleading.  Basically it gives the appearance of being part _of_ the
Society when the intent of the group is not to be responsible _to_ the Society.

Can this be rectified?  Possibly.
A possible solution is to call the interest group something like: The Greater
Lochravensgate Medieval Fighters Interest Group in the title and article one,
then change Section I to read: "The organization is constituted of members from
the Baronies of Loch Soillier, Ravensfort and Stargate [or whatever is
appropriate -- ivm], branch groups of the Society of Creative Anachronism,
Inc., a non-profit organization."  The University might want the language
tightened up -- their interest is probably to whom are you answerable, but I
think it would satisfy the SCA because the corporation would then look to the
Baronies to oversee the group -- which I trust the group _does_ intend.

I'm copying this email to my upline for her input.
--
ihon

hl ihon vinson macfergus, Seneschal of the Stargate