CR - UH Group -- legal info. for constitution

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Wed May 19 11:39:32 PDT 1999

Facts:

Name of the Student Org.:
- Should express the activity of the org.
- Should reflect any legal affiliations
- The current student org. that is forming is not legally affiliated with
SCA, Inc.

Affiliations:
- The student org. cannot claim a direct connection with SCA, Inc.
- The student org. still would like to express that it is connected with
SCA as opposed to Amptgard (sp?) or other recreationistic groups.

This is a broader topic, more detailed.  You've got legal affiliations (as
in 'subordinate to'), and more casual affiliations (as in 'associated
with').  The University paperwork isn't clear as to the meaning and purpose
of this section (and I wasn't able to stay for the entire meeting).  I've
put in a call and left a message in campus activities to try to get an
answer as how the University interprets "affiliation"....or how they would
want an 'association' to be expressed.

~Adela
{break}

OK...I just got of the phone with Bruce in Campus Activities.  He knows
about SCA because he's dealt with them at other campuses in Texas.  He's
glad to have SCA coming to this campus....and I put in a few words so that
they'll notify us if they'd like a demo to be happening at some function in
the future.

The group is going to have to be established with the intention of becoming
it's own SCA group --- in otherwords, established as a pre-incipiency
interest group (student org.).  The affiliation needs to be listed as "this
organization is being established with a "potential for affiliation" with
the SCA, Inc."  And we'll need to list the membership, officer and other
requirements that will need to be met in order for the group to move into a
legal relationship with SCA (ie. become the incipient College of Twr Cath).

~Adela