CR - UH practice site debate: who counts

Jerry Dreifuerst morganson at hotmail.com
Wed May 19 15:10:19 PDT 1999

Ahoy coastal debaters of the UH / practice issue,
Othar here.

Adela questions and answers:
>What's the minimum number of officers that a College must have
>(is it 4 or 5)?
>Seneschal
>Reeve
>Herald
>Minister of A&S
>Chiv. Marshal
>Hospitaler - ?
   and
>The group would need the minimum number of officers
>Who is eligible to be a member of the University group (according to the
>University)?  Current students, current
>staff, and alumni.
>What constitutes an alumni?  According to the Alumni Org., anyone who has
>taken at least 3 hours of classes at UH & is a paid member of the Alumni
>Org.
>~Adela

Below I have cut and copied the on-line text of our Kingdom's required
offices and size for an institutional branch.(like a college)  However an
incipient group needs only three members, thus hoping to gain the required
number of 5 for a  shire or institutional group. (cantons only need 4
members)

(taken from the on-line kingdom laws)
Section 5: Institutional Branches

   1.The Crown may recognize an Institutional Branch which will be, usually,
centered around a university or military base, whose membership may
fluctuate considerably from time to time, formed under the protection of a
Barony or Province. Institutional Branches associated with colleges or
universities shall be styled as a College. Institutional Branches associated
with a Military Installation may be styled as a Stronghold or Port.
   2.An Institutional Branch must meet the requirements listed below:
      1.At least five (5) subscribing members of the SCA, Inc. An
Institutional Branch may be declared temporarily inactive due to reduced
membership from time to time and then restored to active status again when
its membership increases.
      2.A warrantable seneschal, herald, treasurer, and knight marshal. If
there are no fighters in the group, a minister of arts and sciences may
replace the knight marshal.
      3.A name which has been registered with the College of Arms.
   3.Membership in an Institutional Branch is based upon affiliation with
the institution, rather than upon residence in a given area.
(end quoted material)

As you can see we only need a few, read 3, 4, or 5, SCA members to create an
"official" SCA group.

What is the requirement for an on campus organization?  Two?, three?, or are
more members necessary?  At UH/Downtown only three students are needed.

Also, I have attended UH central for 3 hours (or more.)  Should it be
necessary I can become an Alumni member.

Trying to help,

Othar Morganson  Stargate, Ansteorra  morganson at hotmail.com
                         or
Jerry Dreifuerst  Houston, Texas  jerryd at neosoft.com