CR - Medieval Interest Group at UH central

TAVoelker@aol.com TAVoelker at aol.com
Thu May 20 17:59:54 PDT 1999

Hello everyone.  I am currently working with Lady Meliora on the UofH group.
I have been following the posts in coastal regarding the group since our
initial draft of a constitution was posted.  The discussion has been very
beneficial and as all sides of this issue have been aired, I have found a
number of areas that the student group can and should address.  The following
was a post from Lady Adela earlier today (I need to add that a prior post
from Adela contained some outstanding recommendations regarding sign-ins,
etc. that will definitely need to be addressed.  This particular post was
regarding tying the hoped for rebirth of the former college into the startup
for this interest group.  Please understand that my comments are strictly
from the vantage point of an SCA outsider (or at best someone at the doorstep
of the SCA) and have more to do with a fairly extensive amount of experience
getting an extremely succesful student organization off the ground at a
different Texas State college.  I yield the floor completely to all SCA
members on the SCA issues.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· Please read through this, because I believe it to be a win-win situation
for all involved.

· I'm going to make one last attempt to explain my reasons for putting the
"potential for affiliation"   'requirements for the College to be recognized'
in the affiliation clause of the interest group's Constitution.

· =======

· It would not affect how the interest group is formed or ran.

True after we start the group.  However, tying all of the potential issues
involving SCA recognition into our initial constitution is going to be
burdensome and may ultimately be unneeded.  I believe that waiting to see if
this group can develop and maintain student interest would be wiser.  At some
future point the student group (assuming success) can vote to petition The
Kingdom for recognition.  I have seen several fraternities and sororities
start up as student groups long before they petitioned a national association
for membership.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· a)  It would give the interest group a legitimate reason for having such a
large number of people on campus....especially people who are not directly
affiliated with the University.  (a la, We're here to help this group recruit
members.)  [I do have a problem with the campus being used solely for it's
'free' facilities.  If you're not on campus for the students, then you
shouldn't be there at all.]
· b) There's nothing that says how actively recruitment has to be done.

The stated intent of the group is to recreate life, arts, and fighting styles
as they occurred in the middle ages and Renaissance period.  Bringing in SCA
members as experts is certainly valid even without official SCA affiliation.
As for the free facilities, UofH is a state-funded public school.  It has an
obligation to all the local citizenry as a gathering spot for the promotion
of knowledge.  I have seen state schools in smaller towns that allow local
citizenry to utilize the campus under restricted circumstances to foster good
will.  UofH routinely hopes for outside interest in the campus for sports and
the arts, I don't think a fighter practice with other coordinated activity is
a sin.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· 3) If it is found out that the group is formed solely for the purpose of
free usage of campus facilities, and not for the promotion of student-campus
life, then you are putting the educational careers of those people who have
signed as officers of the interest group in jeopardy.  [And no, this is not a
threat.  But it is a concern.]

This is actually a good reason not to tie the student interest group into the
SCA at all (or at least until the success of the group is determined). My
intent is to recruit regularly from the school.  I have already looked into
ad space in the Cougar and am checking into student life's requirements for
bulletins.  For right now, the cost for this will be born by yours truly.  I
will be at UofH for a couple of years.  We'll certainly know if the student
group deserves to petition long before then.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· A statement of the required number of paid SCA memberships before the
interest group petitions for recognition by the SCA in no way means that the
interest group will ever attain the number of member-students necessary for
petitioning for SCA recognition (although that level does need to be
potentially attainable).

I agree.  The problem right now is there aren't enough official SCA people to
even start a student group (three current students are required).  Tying SCA
membership to this student group is an instant dissolution of the student
group.  We currently have one SCA member (Lady Meliora, who incidentally is
the cornerstone of this whole venture), one unofficial SCA participant (we
have only today determined who the third student will be), and one probable
future SCA member (me).  I advise strongly in waiting until the student group
is functional and demonstrates some staying power before the SCA should even
show an interest in recognizing it.  Why invite another failure?

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· 5) Because the interest group is outside of the control of SCA, it can
choose to set that petition level higher than the minimum required by SCA
(i.e. 5 memberships and 4 officers).  [And I believe that the Kingdom can
make exception and approve that higher number as necessary in order for the
group to be recognized.]

I believe that before the student group should even think of petitioning it
should demonstrate an ability to survive its first year and show a means of
successful recruitment.  If the student group cannot handle its own
succession, there is really no reason for the Kingdom to want to recognize
it.  I was involved with founding a fraternity during my undergraduate years.
 We had to demonstrate successful successive recruiting classes (plus a
number of other requirements) before we could even colonize.  Chartering
(roughly the equivalent of recognition) didn't happen until 5 full semesters
of recruiting as a colony had occurred.  This insured that a culture of
rebuilding and retooling was in place long before we achieved recognition.
My national fraternity has used this strategy successfully for years now and
has one of the lowest failure death rates due to low chapter membership
because of it.  Patience on the Kingdom's part would likely produce equal
results.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· a)  If someone comes along who does want to restart the
· College...it is laid out plainly and clearly what is expected of the
College (ie. how
· big it should be, that only the students are to be the officers, etc.).
· b) The interest group would have plenty of forewarning that the
· group is nearing the number required for petitioning for reactivation of
the College.
· c) This would prevent a splinter group of only 5 members and 4 officers
from petitioning for reactivation of the College.

This is a great idea, but really doesn't have to tie in to the student group
at this time.  I think creating very clear expectations of not only group
size, but succession is paramount before attempting to give this student
group any hint of official SCA position (or potential position).

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· Imagine what would happen: If the Kingdom will not recognize the College
because of it's history and low membership, then the College would blame the
interest group (ie. the Baronies). If the College is recognized by the
Kingdom, it's very likely that the University would no longer recognize the
interest group.... And then the Baronies would be upset with the College.
(But technically the group did have the right to form and it was recognized
by the Kingdom.)

Why would the University not allow separate organizations with the same basic
principal?  That's contradictory to the nature of many established student
organizations.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· Even if both groups are allowed to exist on campus, there'd still be
problems between the 2 groups because the College would be perceived as a
splinter faction.

That's a big if for a college that as you stated has a problem staying active.

· [(Lady Adela's comments)
· All around it would be a very bad situation.  I don't want to see this
happen.  But with the way things stand currently, these are the scenarios
that I believe are being set up.]

True, but it would involve a lot of unlikely events happening.  I think the
most likely result of your worst case scenario is UofH having an active SCA
group and a separate medieval interest group.  While really unlikely, it's
hardly Armageddon.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· 7) If the College ever does reactivate, practices at the University do not
have to end.  They can continue as before ---- must be officially announced
and have one member of the student group present at all times, plus the
group's marshal.
· [Reserved rooms have always been and would continue to be an area of
conflict --- the whole room reservation system on campus is just horrible.
That's why the most recent incarnation of the College held most of it's
meetings at a house near to campus rather than on campus.]

Agreed.

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· 8) If the College is not reactivated, then Stargate would be able to say
that it at least made a valid attempt to reactivate the College.  At that
time the College could be formally declared dissolved and the College's money
be turned over to the Kingdom.  [Criteria would need to be established: time
limit, etc.]  This in no way means that the Constitution of the interest
group would need to change.

I again agree, but that is SCA business.  If I were to be allowed to suggest
that the SCA should place strong standards on the reactivation of the
college.  I can certainly see why establishing a timeline would allow for the
potential liquidation of the currently dormant funds.
=============

· (Lady Adela's comments)
· To summarize:

· This provides for an amicable changeover of the control of the group on
campus should a viable (keyword!) College group ever form.

· This provides for the formal dissolution of the College if it cannot be
formed, pending an establishment of criteria.

· By inclusion of the expectations of the College, it prevents the formation
of a splinter group which would be damaging to the Region.

· It acknowledges the connection that the interest group has with SCA and
provides a reason for the presence of non-University people.

· And it still achieves the goal of creating an interest group so that
fighter practices can be held on campus.

· ========

· Again, this would in no way establish the College on campus.  But it would
define the perimeters under which the Barony (ies) and Kingdom are willing to
accept the existence of the College and avoid a potentially problematic
situation.

· I think this is reasonable. & I think this is a sound course of action.

I do as well, but we are now looking at the SCA needing to set standards for
its expectations of a student group (and really any student group, not just
this one) wanting to reactivate this chapter.

My summary.  Meliora has made some significant progress in getting the
student group going (and also thanks to Lady Adela for her efforts and
interactions on our behalf with Student Life, thanks for the definative on
arrows!).  I have every intent of helping Meliora see it through. Input from
the SCA on a potential future activation of the SCA College chapter certainly
seems to have struck a chord with many of you and that speaks volumes for the
good intentions of your Baronies (and confirms my positive first impression
of the SCA).  Let us get this student group started, please give us your
input... But above all, have patience.  This is a long road we're looking at
and we aren't going to achieve any significant destinations in the short run.

Yours,
Nicophorus
Mka Troy A. Voelker

P.S. The revised constitution (with absolutely no mention of SCA
affilliation) is being filed with the University by me Friday around noon.
With this and all required forms turned in, we merely await University
recognition before we can start things up.  I will begin relocating to the
UofH campus this Monday and will place my phone and grad housing here at that
time.