CR - Stargate / Loch Solleir Siege Guild

Lawrence D. Ruiz lruiz at interconnect.net
Tue Apr 25 12:01:35 PDT 2000

My suggestion is the "boat crank" available at most marine suppliers
including Academy.  This is a simple, quick bolt-on that will help turn any
light siege ballista into a heavy.  We can not foresee the future, so  can
not tell you that this will be mandatory or not at Gulf.  And, I did not say
it had to be utilized, just that it had to be on the machine ;-)
about your ammunition, consider using the PVC bolts, they shoot better with
a more solid "thunk" than golf tubes.  The golf tubes are standard, though,
so make sure your ballista can shoot both ammunitions as I anticipate much
gleaning on the field this next year.
My design is not a triangle, but more of a pyramid.  A 10x10 base, an 8x8
2nd story base and 8' from the base to the second story.  I am utilizing
much bracing similar to what we use in the marine stowage of cargo.  This
system receives much abuse during transit, so it seems the best for this
situation as well.  To give you an idea of what I am doing, it will look
very similar to the siege tower from the Messenger.  I have built a scale
model of the battering ram/siege tower and subjected it to a little stress
and it held.
I do not want a super heavy machine, any ideas on wood?

thanks, Lawrence