[Coastal] Subscribing to hou-announce

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Wed Aug 29 13:00:54 PDT 2001

Sandra White wrote:

> The problem is, some of us don't live in Stargate, Gates Edge, Westgate or
> Ravensfort.
>
> What about the Loch?
>
> Is it really necessary for us to start a Loch Soilleir list, just so we get
> Houston announce?
>
> Regards,
>
> Sandra/Ceara

Hi, Ceara:

Your points are well taken. It was not my intention to exclude anyone, but
merely to explain how the Hou-announce "distribution" list works, and the
purpose for setting it up in the first place.

We could certainly make our announcements to the Coastal list; most of us are
subscribed to it, too. But Hillary (and others) felt it was a disservice to
folks in Seawinds (or La Marche Sauvage, for that matter) for them to have to
get announcements of strictly local interest, such as the status of the
Stargate/Loch fighter practice when it's raining here. This would be along the
same lines as those folks who make announcements about *their* local fighter
practice (elsewhere in the kingdom) to the kingdom-wide Ansteorra list.

It sounds like a Loch email list might be just around the corner, so this may be
moot... but either way, you can subscribe to any one of the lists (Stargate, for
example) if you want to receive Houston-area announcements - no matter where you
live or who you play with.

On the other hand, I can see that some folks might *not* want to subscribe to
any of the local email lists, but still want to get local announcements.

Therefore, I've changed the policies for Hou-announce, so anyone can subscribe
to it if they want. However, if they're also subscribed to one of the lists it
forwards to, they'll probably end up with two copies of announcements (if I
understand the way it works correctly).

Yours,
Michael Silverhands
your friendly neighborhood list administrator