[Coastal] question for the Houston area ...

Melody Soice melodysoice at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:04:39 PDT 2007

Perhaps a bit of clarification might be useful.  The year I autocrated Stargate Baronial at the Lake Houston State Park site we were able to hold archery over on the side with the kitchen facilities, where the majority of the compeitions were held, but the equistrian competition had to be held (and the horses kept) across the bridge.  We did have one ranger (the day of the event) that was a little freaked about the archery but we finally got him to approve a spot (we did have to move it from our previously planned spot) and the competition went forth as planned.  We chose to hold the equistrian activities on Sunday morning so that folks wouldn't have to go back and forth and miss part of one compeition to go to another.  Ok, that's the official story.   I seem to recall Alexis wanting to compete in pretty much everything and that was the only way we could make sure he wouldn't miss something.As for locking the gates at 10pm.  That wasen't an insurmountable problem but it did force us to get people to take turns manning the gate to let people in after hours.  From our mundane experience camping with the Boy Scouts, I'm under the impression that this is standard operating procedure at state camps.  This was 9 years ago.  Now that nearly everyone has a cell phone, I suspect we could simply put up a sign with a couple of cell numbers for those arriving late and not have to man the gate all night.While not the most equistrian friendly site, it was much more handicapped-accessable and friendly to those of us who aren't as mobile as we used to be in comparison to Camp Chigger... uh, Camwood.  Personally, I loved the site and greatly miss holding events there.Melody McGregor> From: silverhands at sbcglobal.net> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:26:17 -0500> To: coastal at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [Coastal] question for the Houston area ...> > > On Jun 19, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Brian O'hUilliam wrote:> > > As I recall, they USED to not allow equestrian activities or archery.> > However, my understanding is that they are now allowed in some  > > areas of the> > park.  We had actually tried to get it for Loch Guardian this year,  > > but it> > was booked.> >> > Brian> >> > Yes, those are the main reasons why we quit using it, to the best of  > my recollection.> > It's a bit of a pain when you need a site for:> * chivalric> * rapier> * equestrian> * archery> * feast> * camping> > ...and both equestrian and archery are banned. 67% isn't a very good  > grade. :-(> > To make matters worse, they were inconsistent in their policy. One  > year, we talked to a very nice park ranger prior to the event, who  > assured us that everything would be fine. The day of the event, a  > different park ranger was in charge and he told us that equestrian  > and archery were *not* allowed. He threatened to arrest anyone who  > fired a shot, as I recall.> > Their policy of locking the gates at 10 pm was just salt in the wound.> > So we quit using it, and found more "event friendly" sites to use.> > But I agree with the other comments... it was a *beautiful* site.> > Michael> _______________________________________________> Coastal mailing list> Coastal at lists.ansteorra.org> http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/coastal-ansteorra.org