[Coastal] Coastal Digest, Vol 28, Issue 11

mike dowdy mdowdy999 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 27 19:02:52 PDT 2008

Before what I said gets taken any further out the context or the spirit  in which is written..

My points are and will remains specific to fighters, the fighting community, fighter practice, getting, retaining, teaching.. ect ect .. and ect. fighters. It is my opinon that the fighters (heavy or light)and the fighter practice are the calling card, the doormat... Its the first thing folks see. The fighter practice, heavy or light needs to be the vanguard for recruiting folks. It does not keep folks.. YOU/WE/US keep folks hehe, fighting is just the doorknocker. (wow..  Help me .. help me Obi-Wan-Alexis.. that sounded almost like a legal discailmer hehe)

Now for the new stuff

We have grown older, we need to look back and see what got us in. I have informally polled fighters for a few years and come up with this.. beer, babes and fighting (not in that order.. but that the top 3). Is this base and barbaric? heak yeah it is.,. I was in my early 20's very base and very barbaric at one time. I think I turned out ok. There are many of us on this list, in a barony near you whom.. were.. base.. goofy.. barbaric.. dunderheaded.. bafoonish .. whatever.. but they all turned out ok. Some of them turned out better than ok.. they did right good. Young fighters are in general base and barbaric and have to be focused. Not all but a lot of them. Whatever we do has to be fun for them to keep comming back.

these are just my thoughts.

Michael of Gravesend.

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:46:48 -0500From: mea.passavanti at gmail.comTo: coastal at lists.ansteorra.orgSubject: Re: [Coastal] Coastal Digest, Vol 28, Issue 11
Friends -

While I cannot speak for the fighters, I can speak to the recruitment issue raised in this post.

For some years now, the emphasis from our Kingdom Hospitaler has been to actively recruit college students. While they may not have as many available funds, they certainly have the excess time and energy. We want to focus on getting them interested and involved so that they participate now - and continue to do so through out their lives...regardless of where they end up living.

Everyone finds the SCA in different ways... The Hospitalers of the coast work very hard not only on recruitment... but retention. We need more fighters....and artisans, and workers...and...and and.

The only way to find people is to keep venues open. and keep looking for them. Lets not shut any doors we don't need to.

If dabbling in the SCA gets them interested so that they seek us out later in life... then we have truly succeeded.

HL Mea Passavanti
Coastal Region Hospitaler - Who is very thankful for the opportunity to of been in Twr Cath

Message: 1Hail fellow Chivalric/Armored Combatants and combat enthusiasts,  Arthur Morganson here.Michael asks a few key questions, but the answers may not be the onesprovided.One such question is "Who are we trying to recruit?"  Commuter studentsworking jobs AND going to school or folks with weekends free and time andmoney to engage in our pleasant pastime?  If we feel that college studentsare our true target market for new SCA members, then our recruiting goalsneed to be refocused to provide on campus visibility at not only UH, but theother residential colleges and universities of our Bayou City.Is that really the case.  When we get new members that actively participatehere very often I hear, "We dabbled in the SCA in college, but now we havejobs that let us play."------------------------------_______________________________________________Coastal mailing listCoastal at lists.ansteorra.orghttp://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/coastal-ansteorra.orgEnd of Coastal Digest, Vol 28, Issue 11